Minor front aprons

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Minor front aprons

Post by Ian Grace »

These are referred to by Morris as splashers.

There are four flavours:

Type 1 - fitted to all SWB Minors, 1928 to 1932 (seasons) inclusive
Type 2 - 1933
Type 3 - 1934
Type 4 - LWB cars

Type 1 are the plain, elliptical type, suitable for all flat-bottomed radiators.
Type 2 and 3 are more square, to accommodate the dropped radiator shell of these cars. They have four louvres - two each side of the starting handle hole.
Type 4 is completely different, as the LWB chassis have 'back to front' and flat dumbirons, and also more parallel chassis rails.

What I don't know is - what is the difference between the 1933 and 1934 aprons? The radiator shells of these cars are (as far as I know) identical and I can't think of any other reason why they would need to be different. I suspect the difference might be insignificant. The wings are very different between the 33 and 34 cars, but I don't see how that would affect the apron geometry.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

I'd like to have a small batch of aprons made as there are a couple of members in need. I have identified a company that can maker them - they would need patterns of course. So the next step is to gauge interest. Please let me know if you are interested and if so, which type you are interested in.
simonh

Re: Minor front aprons

Post by simonh »

Interesting. I will do some research. My Jensen has 33 type but it is made of aluminium and does seem to fit very well over the rivets holding the front dumb irons to the chassis side rails.

I have found a coil that would have been fitted to the steering column - the primary is OK, still have to test the secondary - quite a high resistance. If it is open circuit I may open it up carefully.
simonh

Re: Minor front aprons

Post by simonh »

ERROR - should have said apron does NOT fit.......

Coil open circuit secondary - so will open unless you want it to look pretty !!!!