Ignition control rod

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Alice

Ignition control rod

Post by Alice »

I have resurrected an ignition advance/retard control rod assembly, but cannot work out where it lies in relation to the steering column.
Only a few pics in the magazines show the top end of the control clearly, and they all differ in the placement
The logical place is atop the column, and is the only place on my car that doesn't cause the rod to foul against something else.
However then I cannot get the link to the distributor to fit. Where there different lengths of the ball-ended link?
Any pics of an original setup would be appreciated. Or if any member in or near Brisbane has an original fitting perhaps I could visit them and have a look.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Ignition control rod

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Barry,

I should be able to sort this for you. I presume you are talking about Y368 -your 1929 chassis? First, there were two link lengths for the link between the ball at the bottom of the rod and the ball on the distributor base plate. The OHC cars had a short link, anout 2 inches in length, the SV cars a much longer link - about 3 inches or more. Is your link one of the shorter ones?

The rod itself is supported by two steering wheel clamps - one just below the top end and one just above the lower end. Looking down at the steering wheel, they should hold the rod at about the ten o'clock position, such that the rod doesn't foul the steering column to firewall bracket.

Does that help? if not, I shall try to provide more specifics after taking a close look at my fabric saloon.

Cheers,

Ian
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks for the advice Ian. I tried that but still no joy. The rod fouls the head of the through bolt at the column clamp, and if I move the rod further down to clear this then at the link there is basically a circular motion that doesn't move the distributor much at all. Logic says that the ball-ended bracket on the end of the rod should be somewhere near vertical to get maximum travel. Also, my rod has a flat area where that bracket fits, suggesting that is supposed to align with the straight portion of the bracket. Is that the case or is it just coincidental wear of the rod?
Any chance of a close up pic of the bottom end detail, particularly the orientation of that little bracket and the rod support on the column?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Barry,

Here's a photo of my fabric saloon that may help. I can take more if need be.

There is a flat at the lower end of the rod which serves to prevent the ball-ended bracket clamped to the rod from rotating.

The geometry of the whole arrangement isn't ideal from a mechanical point of view, but it does work.

Also visible in this photo is the lower steering wheel clamp, which should give you an idea of its orientation, which is the same for the top bracket.