Back to Africa in a 1929 Morris Minor

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Back to Africa in a 1929 Morris Minor

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter Hills is planning a tremendous African safari next year. He is shipping his 1929 Morris Minor tourer that he discovered years ago derelict in the Zambian bush, back to Africa for a grand safari, visiting many of the places where the car was owned over the decades and meeting up with family members of the early owners.

He has established a website for the safari at https://www.back-to-africa-in-a-1929morrisminor.com/

Watch out for further news as Peter's plans develop.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Back to Africa in a 1929 Morris Minor

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter reports: "I did read the 'Turn Left - the Riffs Have Risen' and now looked at the summary on the VMR web site. I have an idea to also visit the places that that Cameron Gilg and Walter Kay e.g. Kapiri Mposhi, Broken Hill, Lusaka, Kafue, Choma, Livingstone the Wanki (now Hwange). Then in the Cape we will go to Somerset West. I know most of the places mentioned in the book."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter also reports: "A professional video photographer will be with us throughout the journey. I will hire a helicopter to record the car crossing the Victoria Falls bridge which if all works out should be a spectacular site as the Zambezi flow will lower that time of the year and so less mist etc. We will time it for the light against the falls."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A quick update - Peter has had to postpone his expedition due to the political unrest in Zimbabwe. This is a great disappointment and I hope that he will be able to undertake the expedition as soon as conditions allow.

The silver lining is that he will be in the Uk for our Summer rally and he will also be representing the Register on our display at Chateau Impney.