Step plate or...

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

gubben

Step plate or...

Post by gubben »

I´m not quite sure that I use the correct term but in my world "step plate" is the plate under the door and between the front and rear wing. So... these step plates is missing on my Minor SV but i think these are rather easy to construct.

Or am I too optimistic?
/Thomas
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Step plate or...

Post by Ian Grace »

I think we would call them threshold plates, although that term more usually refers to the brass manufacturer's plate attached to this woodwork. Is it the woodwork that you are missing? Any chance of a photo of the area?
plj

Post by plj »

Or are we talking about running boards?

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ah - yes - that's probably it. Thanks, Philip.

These are easily made.
gubben

Post by gubben »

Sorry if I was a bit diffuse.

The arrow in this photo point out what I´m referring to. Made of wood I suppose and some kind of frame made in steel or alloy perhaps. Need a close look at the frame and corners. Was the "plate" covered with a rubber carpet, if so I would appreciate a picture that shows the pattern.

/Thomas
morris 31 c tröskel.jpg
morris 31 c tröskel.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
plj

Post by plj »

Thomas,
Yes solid wood about 1" (25mm) thick, cover as photos, outer edges aluminium angle ,some use plain others grooved, not sure what is original.
Regards,

Philip
Have asked Ian for help with photos as having trouble
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You can obtain the ribbed rubber from Woolies - http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1708-br ... tting.aspx

And aliuminium edging - http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1680-ru ... dging.aspx

The oval Morris script may be available from Ian Harris and can be cut into the ribbed rubber matting.

\
gubben

Post by gubben »

Philip and Ian,
Don´t know what I´ll be without you!
Thanks a lot, guys
/Thomas
peterb

Post by peterb »

I don't know if this applies to your car, or how things were originally...The boards can be attached to the chassis cross member outriggers with coach bolts before the rubber is put on.
The heads can be countersunk and filled in to level the surface.
This works with the boards in place but if the bolts are put in off the car there must be enough space to slide the board into place with the bolts sticking out.
The front wing is often attached to the board with a specially shaped angle bracket (Also available from Ian Harris)
I've seen a variety of ways of making the joint. On some a gap is left between the wing and the board on others a strip of wing piping has been used to fill the gap, and later a specially shaped aluminium end cap was used.
A couple of drain holes drilled in the channel might also be a good idea.
Attachments
running-board.jpg
running-board.jpg (188.88 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Peter,

Thanks for that. The bracket you show in your photo is the standard Morris item. When fitted, there is a gap of about 3/8" bwteen the back of the wing and the front of the running board, and there were three drain holes punched into the gutter section of the channel with slight countersinks.

I agree that you have to be a bit clever with the lengths of the coachbolts that attach the running board to the chassis outriggers, so you can slip the board in under the sill of the ash frame with the bolts already inserted into the baord.