SV engine parts

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

gubben

SV engine parts

Post by gubben »

Well, I have som ugly feelings about the present engine in my SV 100£ :evil: . Why? Not because it´s a SV - no no! But because it´s a side valve made in Germany by Ford and was implemented by former owner in the car in the late 60th. The original engine is gone - for ever I´m afraid.
So, I'm looking for a SV engine and gearbox. I may now have a possibility to purchase a engine/gearbox together with all other parts needed as carburetor, starter etc.
My question is simple: Is it possible to find vital parts as liners, bearings, piston/rings, valve/guides etc etc.?
I have seen that Ian Harris have some parts listed but just "some". Are there other suppliers as well?
Or, should I give up and buy myself a Fiat? :oops:
/Thomas
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: SV engine parts

Post by Ian Grace »

Thomas,

DON'T give up!

There is another supplier which you should make contact with - Mike Dowley of Sports & Vintage Motors (telephone (+44)1939/210458 sales@mmmspares.co.uk).

Mike supplies parts for M Type MGs, ant these will include all your clutch parts and many engine parts that are common to the SV Minor - pistons, liners, some bearings, engine mounts, etc. Also many chassis parts. I suggest you obtain their very comprehensive catalogue.

I think that ebtween Ian Harris, Mike Dowley and the rest of us here, you should be able to find everything you might need.
gubben

Post by gubben »

Ian,

Giving up! Of course not! I´m just kidding. You see, I have a unique chance to own the only SV Minor 100£ in Sweden. Perhaps in hole of Scandinavia. That is a challenge!

It´s just that I now realize, that this change to a non original engine/gearbox leaves me with a lot of missing parts (besides all other modifications done that I have to deal with). Parts that I now have to get hold of. So it´s not only the engine and gearbox with all its peripheral equipment. It´s parts as propeller shaft (mine is modified), accelerator pedal/shaft, ignition advance/retard lever, choke, radiator, plus a bunch of other small parts that are missing or are too worn to be saved.

So, parallel with the chassis and bodywork going on at home I have to locate and buy what I need. But it´s a logistic matter as well.

I must find a proper way to get it all home to Sweden. One thought is to take my everyday car and make a trip to GB in order to pick up as much as possible of missing parts. 2000 km singel way. Puh! But reasonable if I could find one safe place where I can stow all purchased parts so I don´t have to drive all over England as well.

/Thomas
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thomas,

We will give you every support we can!

Maybe, if you can find the items you need, you could visit our Summer Rally next July and collect the parts then. I'm sure we could store theme locally for you.

This would give you the opportunity to inspect other similar cars.