Save this car someone!

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Save this car someone!

Post by chris lambert »

I viewed this car 2 years ago and it was slowly rotting away in a Suffolk barn near Bungay. The asking price then was £3K which I thought was a bit steep in view of its condition - but it is almost all there and was then in a highly original state. It must be worth saving as it is an early car. Ian has all the details and I think he may also have the contact phone number. If anyone is looking for a worthwhile project this should be on your list.

Perhaps this post shouldn't be in the Marketplace section of the forum, as I don't know if it is still for sale.
Further edit- If anyone is interested in viewing or buying, I have many more images of the car I can email.
Last edited by chris lambert on Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Chris,

As far as I know it is still there and in an open shed so the condition will be deteriorating. Yes, a superb car to save. A transition model - late 1929 but with chrome radiator to the early pattern with riveted baseplate. Been in East Anglia all its life and possibly only one driving owner since new.

I actually have a GBP 200 deposit on it, but would be happy to release it as I have more than enough projects right now. If not, I may have to grab it later next year!

Chris, a goods 'swap' for your coachbuilt saloon? Then you would have a pair of fabric Minors!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Like you too many projects, no space and this one would definitely over stretch my limited skills! Just noticed that it has a 6 stud hub on the rear wheel I wonder why?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looks like a 6-stud 18" wheel on a 3 stud hub - from a van?
halbe

let's save her

Post by halbe »

hello Chris and Ian.

I just send you an email about this car.
I would love to save her

Happy 2008

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Halbe,
A happy New Year to you. This is a really worthwhile project for someone with not much to find (if any) by way of ancillaries. The car was protected from the worst of the weather by being stored in a shed that was enclosed on three sides and had been resident in this part of England from new. I have attached another image showing the engine bay.

The missing manifold, carb etc were all there but inside the car.
Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello chris

Is it possible for you to help ?
being on the other side of the sea doesn't make it easy
I also have emailed Ian about this.
Please mail me your phone number and i will give you a call.

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Just sent an email with the required details.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Saved!!

Watch this space!
halbe

New owner

Post by halbe »

Hello everybody,

I'm very happy to let all of you know I bought this pretty little fabric saloon.
My name is Halbe Tjepkema from Holland.
I will try to restore her to her former glory.I know it's lots of work but I'm not entirely new to this game.
I spend some time with Dudley Gahagan (Rees Bros) and also worked in Holland for a firm which restores MG's.

For now I have no news but I will let you know as soon as posible
And yes I allready joined the register

Last but not least I want to thank Chris and Ian for their help.
Without it this would have been impossible

Halbe Tjepkema
David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

Congratulations Halbe!

You are a brave man buying an unseen motor car, I hope it all works out OK. Is this instead of an MG M type, or as well as? :shock:

Regards David
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello David,

This is instead of the m type.
When I was looking at the forum, I came to the conclusion that the Morris Minor is a very nice car , so when this one came up for sale( unrestored but very complete) I didn't have to think long about it.

Ian knows this car ,Chris went to have a look at the car.
He also sent me lots of photos, and I do like the challenge of a restoration.
So I'm not really buying this car unseen.
I'm also aware that the restoration wil take me at least 5/10 years
Instead of having two similar cars ,the Fabric saloonis going to make a lovely companion for my Aston.
I think she is going to be a very pretty little lady!!!

Halbe :D
halbe

Re: Save this car someone!

Post by halbe »

lets see if can put another picture on the forum
Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

This car is now on its way to a new home, near the Hague in Holland. Halbe and his Father collected the car from Bungay this morning and will commence the long and painstaking rebuild shortly. As Halbe says elsewhere - just don't expect this car to be at the VMR 2008 Summer Rally!

Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This is a huge success story for the Register! Congratulations to Halbe and his father for saving this car from an ignominious fate. And thanks to Chris Lambert for orchestrating it through the Forum.

As you all know, I am in the process of launching the Early Morris Society, whose main goal is to first catalogue every surviving pre-war Morris and then try do to something about getting as many as possible back on the road. In the process I have gathered around 150 photo images of surviving OHC Minors, correlating them with their chassis numbers and I am in the process of doing the same for SV Minors before launching into all the other models. In gathering these images, one thing is very striking - there are SO MANY cars that are in desperate need of serious restoration. So many have been in storage for decades, many pulled to pieces by initial enthusiasm and then left to slowly deteriorate or be broken up. We are talking about a very significant part of our engineering heritage - remember that 40% of all cars on the UK roads in 1926 were Morrises.

Experience with the VMR since 2000 has clearly shown that only in very rare cases has a car appeared back on the road in recent years in the hands of an owner who has had the car for many years. On the other hand, we have at least a couple of dozen examples of cars which have changed hands - often as a result of Register activity - and are now sorted, back on the road and in regular use. So here is our challenge for the future - to first to catalogue and then track as many pre-War Morrises as possible, and then to get as many as possible of the cars needing work into the hands of those who will actually do he work and effectively save them.

It is a fair bet that eventually the VSCC will wake up and recognize the worth of all pre-war cars. But until then, if we don't act, then so many of these cars will continue to rot or in many cases be cannibalized for parts for earlier, VSCC-eligible cars. If we can organize good rallies and meets, then this will also encourage active restoration and ownership. All this is a monumental task, but surely SO worthwhile! Time is running out for so many of these cars, and the fear is that huge numbers of them will be lost or simply too far gone by the time we realise what we are in danger of losing.