Worn road spring eye - solutions?

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Worn road spring eye - solutions?

Post by Ian Grace »

It should also be possible to dismantle and re-assemble them with two leaves moved above the main leaf!
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

May I mention shackles? These often need a spot of weld where the flat of the pin fits. If they aren't a good fit the shackle simply swivels around the pin instead moving it.

Ian
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Inspector Poirot Brock might have identified my spare front springs. He has found a spring that he had bought as a spare. It was Labelled as Morris 8. See Photos.

Peter then found that his 34 LWB did in fact have the same type of springs as mine ie not rebound springs above main leaf with only two clip.

Might late LWB cars have been fitted with different springs from the SWB Minor? Does anyone have a Part Number for a Morris 8 front spring?

MY NEW ONES
Spring_jp.jpg
Spring_jp.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
MORRIS 8
spring_M8.jpg
spring_M8.jpg (35.39 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
LATE LWB
Spring_LWB.jpg
Spring_LWB.jpg (147.97 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

John,

Yes, the Minor parts list confirms that the LWB front road springs were indeed different - with different part numbers.

Ther part number for chassis MM101 to M34699 (other than the vans) was 3623, and 50185 for the LWB chassis from M34700.

However, the parts list also details the part numbers for the individual leaves, and it is clear that the LWB springs also had two top rebound leaves, so were the same overall pattern as the SWB Minor springs, and not like the 8 springs.

But maybe not! The parts list also tells us that the 'main or third leaf' of the SWB spring is part number 36344, but there is NO main leaf identified for the LWB springs!

And going back to the issue of the number of leaves, the parts list details six leaves for the springs from chassis MM101 to M34699, and only a 7th leaf for the LWB springs. I'll also have to check how many leaves thre SV MInor front springs had - as well as the SV LWB chassis!

Do we know the part number for the Mooris 8 front spring?
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

We need a Morris 8 expert to tell us whether the part number for a Morris 8 front spring is: