Where can I find king pin to a 1931 SV?

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

martinng

Re: Were can I find king pin to a 1931 SV?

Post by martinng »

Ian that's interesting. It would seem then that perhaps I do not have the M-type Midget conversion as I thought. The brackets used at either end are very workmanlike and seemed to match the descriptions of the M-type components.
The 'S' shaped outer that you describe sounds interesting and would perhaps prevent all the free cable that I have and which drags on the brake lever.
My cable is supported by a piece of bent galvanised wire at the rear of the front wing where it attaches to the running board, and then hangs in free space until it arrives at the bracket on the backplate.
I have attached another photo (but still cannot get it small enough) that shows the rear mounting bracket, the wire support and the cable as it sweeps up to a grease point in mid air and then up past the road spring to the backplate bracket.
I am sure that there should be a better way of routing the cable, although it does not seem long enough for me to find another fixing point further up the chassis.

My immediate fix to counteract the 'drag' is to fit new pull-off springs in the brakes to make sure that they have the best possible opportunity to return the brake cams to the neutral (off) position. Then I think that I need to find a more workmanlike solution.
As always happy for any suggestions.
Martin
Cable support (or lack of it)
Cable support (or lack of it)
R0040778s1.jpg (152.48 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
gubben

Re: Where can I find king pin to a 1931 SV?

Post by gubben »

Thank you all!
Since I´m not strictly committed to originality I think it´s a good idea to convert my front brakes to Bowden cables. If I got it right (pleas correct me if I´m wrong) I then don´t need SV-pully type of king pins. I also found that Ian Harris has Bowden conversion in stock from time to time which certainly will help me a lot.

I also found that Ian Harris has alloy wedge to place between the front axle and the front spring. I suppose those wedges are aimed to increase the caster angel ?

Well, this forum is for sure a very god help. I started this thread with a question about were to find SV-king pin :D and now I got a lot of help with other things as well! It´s just a pity that everyone speaks english :roll: and not swedish...

Maybe it´s a good idea to start a thread under "our cars" to sort things out as they appear during my restoration project?

/Thomas
martinng

Post by martinng »

Thomas, I'm glad that you are seeing the way forward.
As you say your simple request for king pins (and you are right the SV 'pulley' king pins are not needed for Bowden conversion) did expand a bit and now it seems I also need to do some work!

My next task will be to investigate whether I can use the 'S' shaped Bowdenex cables and the threaded adjuster on the chassis that Ian refers to, with my exisiting front brackets in ordert to try to reduce the free length of cable that I have dangling down.

It will be interesting to see your Bowden cable set up as you work on it.
Martin
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, Bowdens from Ian Harris would be a great idea for both of you! And yes, the steering wedges are required to set the steering geometry correctly - as long as you put them in the right way roud - withy the thick end to the rear.

And if you use Bowden cables, you don't need the special kingpins, just plain-ended ones which are readily available. And the brakes work better too - or at least they are easier to maintain and keep adjusted.

I would strongly encourage both of you to staert an 'Our Cars' thread for your respective cars!

Re photo sizes, I re-size all my Forum pics to 900 pixels wide before uploading. If you don't have software to do this, you can send them to me and I can resize and upload for you.

Ian