Shock absorbers Minor 1931 SV 2 seater

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

gubben

Shock absorbers Minor 1931 SV 2 seater

Post by gubben »

I need information about the front and rear shock absorbers. It seems almost impossible to get hold of these old friction type and I therefore need information about: Number of friction discs (2 ?) and measure between center of disc and mounting holes. Pictures would be a big help.
I know that it is possible to bye new absorbers (Andre Hartford) - but the look to "modern"! :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Shock absorbers Minor 1931 SV 2 seater

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Thomas, and welcome to the forum!

Your 1931 Minor would originally have been fitted with Armstrong friction shock absorbers, incorporating a friction band operating in an internal drum. They are adjusted with a brass screw on the outside. Later variants of these units incorporated a supplementary friction disk and adjustable star spring.

Yours sound like they may be Hartfords or something similar? A photo might help identify them - e-mail to me at vintageminor@gmail.com if this is a challenge for you.

Having said all that. Hartfords are much better than the originals because the originals are single acting, and not simple to adjust. Your decision to use them depends on whether you are a stickler for originality, whether you have originals, ANC how much you intend to actually drive your car!

Hope this helps,

Ian
gubben

Post by gubben »

Aha, I understand. I have only looked at pictures (because the absorbers to my car are missing) and have seen front absorbers witch looked similar to Hartfords.

I think I know what absorbers you are referring to - they are those "pear-look-alike"?

Well, I need absorbers and it doesn´t necessary be of the original type which may be hard to find. But I will not have the later Armstrong type that I find on my Minor -54.

Do you have any idea, please? If Hartfords are a good solution, what size should I look for?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Thomas,

My recommendation would be 502S Hartfords - as originally fitted to the M Type MG. You will need six short mounting pins and two long ones, plus 8 nuts - four plain ones (to mount the pins to the chassis/springs) and 4 special slotted ones to attach the shocks to the pins.
gubben

Post by gubben »

Hi Ian,

Many thanks!