UK driving license question

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

UK driving license question

Post by Ian Grace »

I need the help of UK members. I left the UK about 14 years ago and can't even remember what happened to my UK license. I think the State of Michigan took it and returned it to Swansea. Since the we moved to Washington State four years ago and I now have a Washinton driver's license.

If I do acquire DO 7820 as expected in July, then I'll need to insure it in the UK and to do this I'll probably need a UK address (easy) and a UK license (potentially less easy).

Could someone advise, or at least let me have e-mail contact details for whoever I should contact to gety UK license back?

Thanks!

Ian
plj

Re: UK driving license question

Post by plj »

Do "International" licences not still exist?
plj

Post by plj »

Just looked on the AA website, it's an International Driving Permit you need, evidently recognised in conjunction with your current (USA?) licence.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks - that's a good point Philip. I'll talk to some UK insurers and see if they'd accept a UK address and an International Driving License issued in the US.
Toby

Post by Toby »

you won't need an address? just check who accepts what! We used an international driving permit in south america and we were just "on holiday" with no fixed address.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Good point, But I'll probably need a UK address to register the fabric saloon at, so I can use that if need be.