relicensing without MOT

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

relicensing without MOT

Post by Toby »

I think this may be of use. I got my tax reminder for PJ and as usual went to the DVLA website to tax it. The reminder has a note at the bottom to say that pre 1960 cars no longer need an MOT and like many cars my MOT expires shortly before the tax disc (you get your MOT to put the car back on the road after restoration or period of sorn and do insurance, then MOT and then you tax it). The website repeatedly informed me it had no valid MOT, as did the telephone service. I managed to speak to a nice chap on the helpline who confirmed what I suspected... If you have a valid MOT when applying but it runs out before the start of the tax then you can't tax it until the MOT has expired and the vehicle then falls into the pre 1960 no MOT category! I presume this was the easiest way to rejig the system when the exemption came in and by next november it will have evened itself out. (unless you opt for a voluntary MOT of course.)
So if you have the same problem, don't panic. Just wait for the MOT to expire before relicensing.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
plj

Re: relicensing without MOT

Post by plj »

Toby,
Decided to licence my minor even though it was in no way roadworthy, a) to see if it could be done and b) so I could test it up and down the lane during restoration. As it had been off the road for 10+ years it was registered in the tax class "Not Licensed" so the local Post Office did not want to know and suggested I visit the local DVLA in Brighton, 22 miles away and with the most horrific parking outside central London. I sent it by post but was advised to include a "Declaration of exemption from MoT", form V112, downloadable, this I did and much to my surprise TF is now licensed!

Regards,

Philip
Toby

Re: relicensing without MOT

Post by Toby »

yes, it wouldn't be a problem for you as you had no MOT when you applied that was due to run out before the tax start date. Interesting you had a not licensed tax band, this is given when a reg. number is reclaimed so your car hasn't been legally on the road since it's number was reclaimed....
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear