1932 McEvoy to be auctioned

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1932 McEvoy to be auctioned

Post by Ian Grace »

Jim Peacop is selling his McEvoy at auction by Brightwells in March:

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/view ... hp?id=3341

Jim has had this car for decades and Harry Edwards never accepted it as a McEvoy (as opposed to a Jensen) as, when Jim acquired it, it had no McEvoy script on the radiator, and was fitted with a standard Minor SV engine (hence it being referred to as a Model 60, as the Model 60 had a virtually standard SV Minor engine with just a bit of head/port polising). But from the new SV Genome, we can confirm that the chassis did leave the works as a driving chassis - so it has to be one or the other.

With an estimate for this 'mellowed older restoration' of GBP 24-26k, I should perhaps get on with the rebuild of my genuine Model 70 apace. :o :o :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1932 McEvoy to be auctioned

Post by Ian Grace »

This explains the McEvoy sale. I'm trying to find out if Jim will also offer his 1930 Minor tourer. Watch this space.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-21014876
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And now a second 'McEvoy' has been added to the sale by the museum.

See http://www.brightwells.com/ClassicCarsM ... logue.aspx

Lot 40.

Here it is:

From the new SV Minor Genome, we see that the quoted chassis (SV29872) started life as a saloon!

This chassis was being offered by Peter Plant some time back.

I note that the description includes 'Various original door panels, including a door, o/s side panel and tool box'.

I imagine these are no more than odds and ends that were re-made when the other McEvoy was being restored many years ago.

Ho hum!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This just in from Stephen Lloyd:

"Ian

Thought you might like to know that just watched the auction live on my computer, they called both cars “McIlvoy’s”
The car lot 39 bid to £15,000 not sold.

lot 41 the collection of parts they said about 75% complete car, not sold bid to £1,500 provisional.

Have to check on Brightwells website in couple of days to see if sold, there is commission to add .

More details & pics on Brightwells website"
Toby

Post by Toby »

by the time it got to brightwells it had a 32 rad surround with what looks like a homemade script added, no calormeter and no headlights!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A bogus McEvoy script? You're kidding, right? :o
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

To give the would be seller the benefit of the doubt (and not having seen any evidence), is it possible that a McEvoy could have built one of their cars on what had been a saloon chassis? Would McEvoy only have worked on brand new chassis?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

We know the history of AEV 810, and it was a saloon until recently. As you can see, it has standard Minor front wings, step plates, etc.

Chassis were sent from Cowley to Jensen Bros. for bodying and then shipped across town to McEvoy's work for tuning. Jensen built the Le mans style 2+2 bodies to Michael McEvoy's design, but also sold Minors as Jensen Specials with the same bodies, but without any tuning. So, as for YD, since the original engine didn't survive and there was no McEvoy script on the radiator, then since these are the only two distinguishing features of the McEvoy, we will probably never know whether YD was a McEvoy Special or a Jensen Special.

To add to the confusion, Model 60 McEvoys, had only mildly-tuned engines - a bit of port and head polishing, double valve springs, etc., while the Model 70 had the very distinctive finned downdraught manifold and carb. That's how I know mine is a Model 70. But it would be very difficult to distinguish between a Jensen and a Model 60 McEvy - particularly if the engine had been rebuilt a couple of times and the polishing and valve spring evidence had been lost over time.

Ther Model 60 was supposed to be good for 60 mph, and the Model 70 70 mph.