Original Minor batteries

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Original Minor batteries

Post by Ian Grace »

Does anyone have details (dimensions, amp hours) for the batteries originally fitted to the Minor? Mike Norrey is asking me before he buys a battery for his Minor. I'll pass on any words of wisdom.

TIA,

Ian
Simon

Re: Original Minor batteries

Post by Simon »

Ian,

Use the search button for "batteries" to see my previous comments. Do NOT use an MGB 6 volt battery- it is not man enough and also add a heavy duty cable from battery negative to starter motor fixing bolt.
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

The extra cable is not required,all that is needed is an earth strap between the gearbox and the chassis cross-member, a much shorter route, easy to fit and out of sight plus it does the same job.
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Lincoln batteries is the best place as they do a 6 volt 88 amp hour battery that fits perfectly and is well man enough for the job

http://www.lincon.co.uk/classic_car_batteries.html

The battery model is 421/13 and is 88 Amp hours, well worth the extra pennies for the higher capacity as most of this type are around 57 amp/h
You get them delivered dry with an acid pack separate and you just add the acid and de-ionised water and charge...job done
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Has anyone found an image of the original battery used in a Minor? Presumably it was made by Lucas? Are the dimensions specified anywhere?

The M-type came with a Lucas or Rotax battery - the surviving battery lids show the maker's name and help to indicate size.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Lucas catalogue of the period lists battery types for Minors as:
1929-32 OHV STXW11E - 8 1/2" L x 6 7/8" W x 9 1/4" H
1931-33 SV STXW9E - 7 5/8" L x 6 7/8" W x 9 1/4" H
1934 on SV SLTW11E - 8 3/4" L x 6 7/8" W x 7 1/2" H (Lower height than earlier types, fits under drivers seat)
Battery covers are listed separately, so may have been fitted as standard or an optional extra.
Lincoln Batteries have various sizes that fit. Reproduction covers, MG type (expensive), are obtainable
Picture of my 1934 4-door (Lincoln) battery with an early cover
1930's photo of the battery with (Lucas) cover on a 1930/31 Cowley
Drawing of 1932 Minor battery in situ
Attachments
b3.jpg
b3.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
b2.jpg
b2.jpg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
b1.jpg
b1.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi All.

I first tried one of the MG 56ah batteries from the MG club, this was fine when I did the rewire, but
when fully charged was just not man enough to start the car. I have now used an Exide EU80-6 80ah which is fine, the
size is 8.5in h x6.5x6.5.
Have tried various ways of running earth cable without finding any great difference.
If the Minor was the same as the Cowley then my 29 Cowley had a lid as in the previous comment which fitted
the the battery with the same shaped top, two long nickel plated bolts with countersunk heads passed down through
the holes in the lid and the battery into the base of the carrier. Sadly the battery was US but the lid and screws were as new.
Mike