Minor and M Type pressed steel number plates

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Minor and M Type pressed steel number plates

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking through photos of our cars, it is apparent that not may have retained their original pressed steel number plates. Many have the fifties ali plates. If there is sufficient interest, we could have some batches made. There would be four types:

1 Regular rectangular front number plates plates - applicable to all our cars

2 Rectangular rear number plates with 'ear' on the right for the tail lamp. Applicable to all OHC and SV Minors, except the Semi-sports and M Type

3 As 2 but with ears both sides - non original but useful for mounting two legal lamps

4 Semi-sports/M Type square number plate with ear at the top for lamp.

Please register your interest and if there is any, I'll see about quantities and prices. Note that some of these shapes are already available but in thin ali castings - not the original pressed steel. You would need to signwrite them or buy ali numbers to rivet on.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have non original ali with white plastic No.s that I'm sentimentally attatched to! I do however have a pressed steel original as a pattern if you want to borrow it? :?:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Number plates

Post by chris lambert »

Interest registered. I have been looking on eBay and elsewhere for a couple of years and have only seen one M Type rear plate and thats it. It went for £50+ if memory serves. (to a club member)
My requirement is for a pair for the Semi-sports and another for the coachbuilt saloon.
Chris
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

As with Chris I would like to post interest on a pair for a semi-sports. Sounds like a good proposition if we can get enough intertest.

Well done.

Tony Gamble. :lol:
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I'm not sure I know what these look like can someone put a picture up?

DF has pressed steel number plates with stick on characters, would the characters originally been painted on or are they just wrong?

Cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'll get some pics up here shortly. I havr an original front and rear, but my original Semi-sports/M rear is on the rear of the Semi-sports (naturally!) and that is stored somwhere near Heathrow right now. :cry:

Numbers were originally signwritten, but I think that you could also get cast ali numbers which riveted on in 1930 - anyone know?

Anyway, the cars left the works with standardized pressed steel plates, which are the ones I'd like to do batches of.

If you want to use the original rears, you should really source an original TF 210 tail lamp as the plates were designed to take thre TF 201.
Toby

Post by Toby »

when did they stop using the pressed steel with tf210? ie did the sv have 'em?
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I have got the same pressed plate front and rear with the rubber helmet type rear lights off each side. This provides reasonable rear lighting with the period look. I'll have to get the paint brush out and some white paint!

The plates that came with my MG are the same pressings but with aluminium charaters rivited on. It may be possible to get the front plain pressings from the MG suppliers like Sports and Vintage or Moss
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The SV cars had exactly the same plates I believe. I think plain rectagular front pressed plates may be available (at a price) but as far as I know nobody does the ones for the rear to take the TF 201's except someone (Paul Beck?) does them in cast alloy which are rough, not original an very expensive.
prharris25

Number Plates.

Post by prharris25 »

The pressed steel front and rear plates on DF 9053 came from Halfords during her 1968/9 rebuild, as did the stick on figures. Whilst not entirely authentic, the front plate is as good as you will get. The rear plate of course should be shaped to take the TF 201 rear light as Ian says.
The stick on numbers, whilst not correct, are the correct size and look far better than those dreadful shiny pressed aluminium plates one sees, frequently with incorrectly sized letters. I fitted the rubber divers helmets either side of a standard plate because it seemed the neatest way of providing good and legal lighting with stop lights which was also pleasing to the eye. If you have the proper rear plate and TF 201 light, you still have to provide a second rear light somewhere and end up with difficulty if you want stop lights. None of my business Jeremy, but I reckon the arrangement on DF is as good as you will get, but arguably painted numbers properly done (as per Dave Cooksey's Minor) would look suberb on the existing plates. As a matter of interest, The Complete Automobilist did have a stock of period plain oblong pressed steel plates...they may still have some.

Paul.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have a non 30s light to one side of my plate but also have combined glass Raydyot lights on each mudguard. This makes the rear surprisingly visible at night although there have been some horror stories of shunts at night recently. Does anyone know where I can source some of that red hi vis stuff they put on the rear of lorries. You know, the stuff that lights up from hundreds of yards away and actually looks like lights?
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Your right Paul, DF looks just great with the current set up, ok so its not "original" but it works, its legal and looks the part - testemant to your hard work all those years ago.

I don't plan on changing anything except perhaps a coat of paint and painting in the characters as part of my general maintenance plan.

A good test for any car is making a black and white picture, do this with DF in the right location and you are transported back many years- perfect!

The MG TA/TB/TC front numberplate blanks are £22 from Moss if any one is interested.