Great story involving an M Type MG

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Great story involving an M Type MG

Post by Ian Grace »

Scroll down to find the image of Rolf Kolling with his M Type GG 4027 (2M/2226) in 1943. Happily, the M has survived. It was owned by K. Latus in 1982 according to an old MMM Register that I have, and it is still listed at the DVLA. Can anyone say where it is now?

Spitfire ML 407 is the Grace Spitfire - no family connection, but I worked on this Spit when I was in the RAF at RAF St. Mawgan and Nick Grace was restoring it at nearby St. Eval.

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/feature ... -1945.html
rmburnett

Re: Great story involving an M Type MG

Post by rmburnett »

This is fascinating, particularly since my own MG (1931 Sportsmans Coupe) bears a registration mark (GG 3949) that is very close to this one (GG 4027). The odd thing is that the MG that belonged to Rolf Kolling has a much earlier chassis number (2M/2226) than mine (CM/2917) but a later registration mark.

Is anything known about the early history of GG 4027?

My own car was first registered on 1 July 1931 by a Capt. Cyril Grimley. He was presumably on duty in Scotland as his home address was listed as Aintree House, South Farnborough, Hampshire. I know nothing more about him, and have not been able to locate his house with a web search.

Can anyone provide more information on either car?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Great story involving an M Type MG

Post by Ian Grace »

Roger,

I had an Uncle who was a Colonel in the RAMC and had a series of large houses with batting staff as he was posted around. He had one named Leipzig House in Crookham, Hants. It was a beautiful red brick Victorian house with extensive gardens. Recently I tried to find it and the whole area is now a Waitrose and a housing estate of little boxes. I suspect the same may have happened to Aintree House.