Tappet spanner.

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

prharris25

Tappet spanner.

Post by prharris25 »

There appaers to be a genuine tappet spanner on e-bay when I crunched in "vintage Morris Minor" if anybody is interested. Looks to be for ohc...too large for sv I would have thought. Not having an ohc to check at the moment, perhaps somebody could confirm. Daft price unfortunately.
Toby

spanner!

Post by Toby »

Already seen it, put in offer as I thought it was over the top! offer was declined but he did lower the price a bit. Still too much. I was hoping it was for a sv, would be interested if anyone could confirm. :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I bought these similar spanners via eBay at different times, but the spanners are identical. They are stamped 'Morris Minor Tappet Spanner' and fit the OHC eccentrics. I did offer to have sets laser cut using these as patterns a while ago but the response was predicatably underwhelming.

Incidentally Paul, why are you trawling eBay for Minor bits - you don't even have one! :D
prharris25

Tappet Spanner

Post by prharris25 »

Not at the moment I don't Ian............but .........
Sam Christie

Tappet Spanner

Post by Sam Christie »

I would still be very keen to purchase a tappet spanner- in fact I would buy two. Surely enough of us can step forward to get this really useful project working? I can think of someone else who I know would buy one and another person I think I could persuade. Any more volunteers ?
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Count me in for two. (Sam, I knew I'd seen your name before somewhere!)
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

Oi, what about the sv boys? It's mighty fiddly around that hot exhaust!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
cammy

Re: Tappet spanner.

Post by cammy »

We'd buy a couple of spanners. Our gorgeous reconditioned cylinder head gear will deserve them when it arrives back home. Will post a picture when we have one.

Clive & Bren
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Touching on this old topic once again,the 7/16 spanner below appeared on eBay recently and sold for £51 plus £7 postage.

I have the impression that the OHC Minor toolkit came with one spanner like this with a feeler gauge and a second without.It still surprises me that the there was not enough interest for a 'viable' quantity of these to be made when Ian suggested it.Is there enough interest now?
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

I would certainly be interested in a pair. I've got a friend who runs a small laser cutting place in Shotley, i'm sure he could knock them up as and when required for a decent price, rather than having to build up a big enough order.
Andrew
halbe

Post by halbe »

I would also like a pair

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I took my spanners to a laser cutter in Grand Rapids, Michigan some time ago, and he was going to get me a quote. He was a nice chap and I borrowd a beautiful set of expanding reamers from him which I used to ream the new kingpin bushes on my Semi-sports. I didn't hear from him for a few months and when I tried to contact him, I discovered that he had lost his job and moved - to Montana or some such place - and I never heard from him again!

I'd like to get a pair of these made for myself if Andrew can get some made up, and we can locate a good priginal pattern, or, failing that, simply draw one up.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I think I have a couple of these in my tool box, the feeler guage bit has broken off - I'll dig them out as I don't need them anymore.

cheers
Jeremy