sealant

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

g4pyd

sealant

Post by g4pyd »

I wonder what the views are for replacing a new cylinder head gasket :? on a 32 sv engine.

would a gasket sealant be necessary?

Colin :)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: sealant

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Colin,

Take a look at Peter Hills' PowerPoint - slide 329. He uses, and I have also used blue Hylomar. I have also seen a light greasing recommended, and others suggest using nothing at all. Take your pick!

While on the subject of sealants, Red Hermetite (not to be used for cylinder heads) was taken off the market some time ago, but there is now a new product on sale which is virtually indistinguishable from Hermetite Red called Hylotite Red, also made by Hylomar. Has anyone used it?
Toby

Post by Toby »

red hermetite still available on ebay. Payen recommended using "payenite" and i have seen "gold size" also suggested.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

An old mechanic friend of mine who looked after all the cars I have owned from when I first met him in the early sixties
up till his death about four years ago . He also used to service the 8 vans of a firm I used
to manage as well as the firms cars. He used nothing but grease on all cylinder heads and I never had any trouble with any of the
vehicles in all that time. good motoring Mike
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

When Johnsons Gaskets made me solid copper one, I asked about sealing and he also thought grease was fine.

Ian

I have had no trouble and that's with a 6.7:1 compression ratio
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Seeing the previous question on head studs,etc the same old friend never used a torque wrench, his words you need to feel
the tightness, again never had a problem.Mike
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Thanks everyone, my gasket has not arrived yet so will make a choice when it does..cheers all Colin
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

My gasket arrived and is now fitted, The instruction that came with it suggest a covering of oil and no torque wrench so that solved that problem :D :D :D .

Great service from Ian Harris :D