Brakes.

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Brakes.

Post by Highlander »

Dear fellow minor owners. I have have a problem with by brakes for some time.. I have a 1933 sv minor which has been converted to hydrolic brakes. They work well - but - two years ago on returning from the golf club up a very speed hill on Epsom Downs the minor got slowere aqnd slower until I was forced to stop in a lay by. The brake drums were red hot and the plaint burning!!! The brakes had seized on. I slackened off the valve on front offside wheel and let some fluidn out. This did the trick.I have been told the there is a leak somewhere in my system and fluid gets on the wrong side of the works and makes the brakes come on.This happens one a month, 500 miles, and I do as I have just mentioned and all is well. What is wrong? And should I mend it? I can see no leaks in the system. None of this stopped mky motoring to the gold club this morni9ngn in heavy rain and scoring 40 points and winning!! May I wish you all a very happy Christmas. Alister (Highlander)
prharris25

Brakes.

Post by prharris25 »

Sounds like a faulty master cylinder to me.
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Check to see that the vent in the filler cap is clear, also make sure that there is free play between the push rod and the master cylinder piston and that the pedal always returns fully.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I agree with Paul master cylinder seals are most likely the culprit. I had this on a Mini and a Triumph Spitfire and and Land Rover. Cables are so much better!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

When I eventually get my McEvoy over here, I'll have a complete set of hydraulic brakes spare if anyone needs them. I'm going to revert it back to original cables.
Toby

Post by Toby »

if no-one is desperate then I may need some parts. Depends on how well the brakes on the saloon work but won't know until I increase the pipe bore (and re-fit engine etc!). The pedal was modified to suit a modern master cylinder and I have re-modified it to suit an 8 cylinder! My that car saw me coming!!! perhaps cable may be the way forward for me in the end?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear