Carburetter

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

lee_rob

Carburetter

Post by lee_rob »

Hi all,

When I purchased the New Zealand Minor it came with a box of spares bits, and in amongst these is an early Donut SU Carb. This is the one with the flat chamber underneath the body of the carb, does anyone have one of these on their cars and are they any good? I currently have a later carb on mine I think it must be off a morris 8 or something and would like to put the original back into service. I was told by the previous owner that it doesnt work and there is a piece broken in a bag, looks like a spacer of some sort, do you think Burlen would refurb it??

Lee
Ronald

Re: Carburetter

Post by Ronald »

The easiest thing to do is ring them and ask, they're very knowledgable......... and i found very reasonable on price too!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The early concentric float chamber carb. was useless and was replaced by Morris very quickly, at chassis MM1101. I have had a couple of these before, but never tried to run one.
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Interesting to hear that they are deemed useless, any idea what is was about them that didnt seem to work?? Maybe there is a mod that can be done on it to make it more serviceable. I would love a proper Cammy Carb for it but I doubt I am going to find one at a reasonable price so I was hoping this would be the next best thing.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

I have one of these early carbs on my '28 fabric saloon. It seems to work Ok , maybe a bit susceptible to flooding .

What bit of yours is broken ? I have some spare parts for this type of carb.

Tony G
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Its like a flat disc of metal a but like a spacer which I think sits on top of the base underneath the dashpot?? I think its part of this carb otherwise it could be just a random bit thats been put with it. I will take a picture of it and post it tomorrow.
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

OK I have found the piece that is broken. It seems its the piece that centres the piston in the base of the carb.

Lee
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello,

Hope you get to the carb working !
Please keep us posted

Halbe
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Halbe,

Thanks I hope I can get it working as I think they look quite good on the car, your engine looks good by the way I am very jealous. I just re-fitted mine after a head rebuild and a general dismantle and clean up, its not as smooth as I would like but I cant afford new balanced rods and crank at the moment so they went back in as they were. I have to say the 12/12 cam makes a massive difference though gives the engine much more torque. I notice you kept the original rocker fingers, I had to change mine as they were badly damaged so I have J type ones on now which meant a new J type rocker cover had to be fitted. Not original I have to say but looks nice and shiny :-)

Lee
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Lee, its odd that you say your cam gave you more torque... on my engine i found it gave more power, but less bottom end torque..... not that it had much before, but seems more peaky now.........
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Did you definitely get the 12/12 can and not the C type which is known to be peaky. I have a Bosch distributor on too which helps with the torque as its advancing at the correct revs.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Lee

I have examined my carburettor , and the spares , and there is no part like the one you have shown.

Contact me on my email address , anthony.gamble@btconnect.com , and we'll see what we can do to sort you out.

Tony G
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Lee, as far as i'm aware its a 12/12 cam... i'll have to check the invoices...................