Identifying gearboxes

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

Identifying gearboxes

Post by ashford »

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a four speed crash and a four speed synchromesh from the outside? I'm trying to work out whats on my family 8. I can see from the morris information manual that there is a slight difference to the lugs on the alloy casting but without two for comparison its still hard to tell the difference.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Identifying gearboxes

Post by Ian Grace »

I have a feeling that the synchro box has a steel case - I know it weighs a ton compared to the crash box.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Ian, I think you might be confusing the synchro box with some other type. The Minor one is hardly any different to the constant mesh one in size, weight, or appearance. It is about an inch longer in the part between the bell-housing and the gear lever tower but that's about all.
ashford

Post by ashford »

It doesn't sound easy then! I have seen cast iron gearbox casings on circa 1934 wolseley hornet saloons. All the ones I have seen, have the freewheel bit on the back.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm pretty sure that the 1934 Minor synchro gearbox is a very heavy box compared to the '32/'33 three-speed crash box. I've had at least one in the past, and that is my recollection, and that the extra weight is in the steel casing. Considered opinion is that it was not only very heavy but not good box (the synchro rings wear out), and that is why the Minor 4-speed crash box is the box of choice by the MG fraternity.

Ian, maybe there was an interim alloy casing version of the crash box? If so, I don't think I have seen one.
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

The only synchro box I have seen was almost identical to the crash box with the same-ish alloy casing :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting - maybe the box I had (and I'm thinking back at least 32 years here!) was not Minor but Wolseley or something else!