Ignition timing

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

lee_rob

Ignition timing

Post by lee_rob »

Hey all,

Nearly got the little New Zealand minor ready to receive her rebuilt engine, and I need a little advice about ignition timing. I know the standard OHC minor is set at TDC on full retard however I have a M type camshaft fitted now and I also have a new Bosch distributor to fit. I have been told to set it at 1 1/4" BTDC static and then the Bosch does the rest, does this sound right?? I would have thought the M type cam would want a bit more advance just not sure how much.

Thanks

Lee
lee_rob

Re: Ignition timing

Post by lee_rob »

Does no one have any ideas on this??
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

When doing the timing on older engines, i find that the engine will tell you when its happy........ and likewise when its not......... get it running and see where its happiest.....
TomDrewett

Post by TomDrewett »

Hello Lee_Rob

I don't know if my post will help, but may at least raise a smile. I puzzled with my (recently rebuilt) M Type timing and spent a few evenings setting the static ignition timing and then puzzling why it was running so awfully. I ended up as Ronald suggests in his posts and setting it with the engine running until it was 'happy' and it worked a dream. I have since set it running with a strobe light.

More technically, for M Type it should be set at T.D.C fully retarded, points just breaking.

Tom
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

TomDrewett wrote:Hello Lee_Rob

More technically, for M Type it should be set at T.D.C fully retarded, points just breaking.

Tom
Same for the Minor.
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Hmmm well I have my minor is now set at 1 1/4" BTDC retarded with the Bosch distributor on and it runs really well with lots of torque and a good power output. I was recommended this by a guy who rebuilds M types (Andy King) and it seems to work.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I must admit that have never timed a Minor with a light. I loosen the clamp on the distributor just enough so I can turn it and the set it by trial and error.
TomDrewett

Post by TomDrewett »

Very simple to do with a strobe light and also it takes out the guess work! As long as you have marked no 1 TDC correctly, and of course the points gap then you can get it exactly as required... I was happy to do it by feel, but my father made me do it properly! :wink:
TomDrewett

Post by TomDrewett »

lee_rob wrote:Hmmm well I have my minor is now set at 1 1/4" BTDC retarded with the Bosch distributor on and it runs really well with lots of torque and a good power output. I was recommended this by a guy who rebuilds M types (Andy King) and it seems to work.

By the way lee_rob , I would for sure listen to Andy King , he has a good reputation! Also I did not consider that you had a Bosch distributor so I cannot comment as I do not know if the settings would be different. It sounds as though you are satisfied now anyway!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Glad you got it sorted.......... out of interest, i have even timed up diesel pumps by 'ear'....!