Winter storm at VMR HQ

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Winter storm at VMR HQ

Post by Ian Grace »

Some more images taken over the last couple of days. Internet here at the house is intermittent (via satellite), but it is still solid on the iPhone/3G which I have used to answer e-mails and post to the forum this week. We have had several power cuts due to falling trees taking down power lines. Our road is currently closed by the local Police as impassible. Several members are waiting for spares items and Magazines to be posted, and I hope to get them all away tomorrow, as the thaw is forecast to start this afternoon.

Picture 1 - those are snowflakes, not stars. Caught with the flash and a fast shutter speed.

Picture 2 - the front deck with Monkey Puzzle tree beyond.

Picture 3 - the evergreen state? Yeah - right!

Picture 4 - the flash adds an ethereal light to the wintry scene.

Image 5 - the paddocks with Haystack Mountain (4,000') opposite through a brief break in the clouds.

Picture 6 - looking down on the clouds in the valley below.

Picture 7 - waiting for spring, a giant Cedar towers over the VMR HQ.

Eberhard

Re: Winter storm at VMR HQ

Post by Eberhard »

Who the f*** told your county Evergreen State?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Disaster! We just heard a loud WUMP outside and our pergola just collapsed under the weight of snow on the grape vine and Wisteria which has now half blocked our drive.

Taken yesterday:

Taken ten minutes ago:

Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Ian,

I also deliver to US... :mrgreen:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, I'll need to architect a new one in the spring! I'm wondering if my homeowners' insurance will cover it?!
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

You´ll understand.

In case of extreme weather they don´t pay. Snow fall ist extreme...
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

"State of emergency in Washington state after snow, ice storm
January 19, 2012 19:33 GMT

SEATTLE (AP) -- The governor of Washington state has declared a state of emergency, authorizing the use of National Guard troops, if necessary, in the aftermath of a snow and ice storm that has paralyzed much of the state.

Tens of thousands of people lost power, and hundreds of cars slid off roads. The Seattle airport was shut down this morning, delaying or canceling most flights before a runway was reopened. Lines of people snaked around nearly every ticket counter.

The storm claimed at least two lives. One victim was a child whose body was pulled from a creek in Oregon after a car was swept away from a grocery store parking lot. His mother is still missing. Another person was killed by a falling tree east of Seattle.

As temperatures warm up in the days ahead, authorities are worried about the potential for flooding."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sending this from my iPhone - Internet gone down again. 200,000 homes in Seattle now without power. We still have power here - so far. Just took a walk outside - the place is a mess with many branches on our trees broken and on the ground. Propane is getting low, but we have about two days of logs still. We're supposed to get above freezing this afternon, but it isn't happening and the next system is moving in fast. Ice pellets falling right now.
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Wish you all the best to survive in warm condition! On German TV it´s shown last night: Click.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It looks like the worst is over - managed to dig out and get to the office today with temperatures rising above freezing in ther early hours of this morning. This weekend will be spent clearing up!