Rally Roll Call 2008

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Rally Roll Call 2008

Post by chris lambert »

The 2008 summer rally is in the early planning stage and will be centred upon the former USAAF 100th Bomb Group headquarters at Thorpe Abbotts on the Norfolk/Suffolk border. The ex airfield is now the home to:

http://www.100bgmus.org.uk

The key dates for your diary are the 11th - 13th July. I will post accommodation venues here over the next few weeks. The nearest town of any size is Diss although the village of Scole boasts a good hotel in the Schole Inn.
To give us some indication of the numbers likely to be attending please make a post on this thread of the forum. Ian will be trailing the planned events in the VMR magazine but as Rally HQ is to be on an airfield I don't think I will be giving anything away by saying there will be an aeronautical theme to much that is planned to take place. Now I wonder how many B17's are still airworthy??? :wink:
Chris
Last edited by chris lambert on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris lambert

Diss Hotels

Post by chris lambert »

This link will take you to some of the Hotel accom. available in and around Diss;

http://www.kayukay.co.uk/disshotels.html
Toby

Post by Toby »

Technically count me in! Norfolk, thats in Europe isn't it, do they take pounds? Seriously, sounds good, better start greasing up the trailer or leave in march!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'll certainly be there - but without my 2-seater this year - unless it is still awaiting shipping in July!

I spoke to Brian Maeers this afternoon and he is definitely going to be there as well.
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Put me on your list of confirmed attendees,
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

I have to give my appologies - it clashes with Classic Le Mans and I had already committed to take the MG over for the weekends events.

Cheers
Jeremy
chris lambert

Re: Rally Roll Call 2008

Post by chris lambert »

It looks like it could be quite an intimate 2008 Summer Rally with only 4 confirmed attendees so far. I am aware of the clash with Classic Le Mans and other events but any summer weekend chosen will have had similar conflicts. What is in store for those of you who make the effort to visit the beautiful, rural and picturesque counties of Suffolk and Norfolk. The things I can guarentee are very quiet, flat roads, fine food and ales in the hostelries and a warm welcome. The Rally proper will peel back a piece of the area's history and the rally base camp at the former USAAF aerodrome 139 at Thorpe Abbotts will provoke many thoughts. :|
The two images below will perhaps give you some idea of what the weekend will be about and I will throw in the words 'contemporary art' to further whet the appetite. :wink: If this encourages you to make a commitment to come along, please register this commitment or intrest on this thread. We look forward to meeting up with you later in the year!

Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

This also clashes with Woodcote and by then I may be further away and up to my eyes in tasks but I'm still hoping to be there. Surely it's an excellent chance for those too far away from Dorset to come to a rally? How about some "prizes"? Furthest travelled, highest combined age, youngest driver, etc! :lol: Still early days, I'm sure the other minorists won't let you down.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Don't worry, Chris, there will be plenty of entries once I get the PR machine in gear. :D
RLucke

Post by RLucke »

Obviously count me in as well Chris. Roger
Roger Lucke
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Thanks Roger, I think that makes us about seven cars confirmed (or at least their owners have indicated a wish to attend) Now what I have got to do is try and persuade the likes of Tony G. and other 'east siders' to drag their cars out of garages and give them a thorough airing down Suffolk way.
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

I visited the Four Horseshoes at Thornham Magna tonight by way of a recce for the Summer Rally. It is a lovely 12th century (recently refurbished Inn & free house) with eight rooms, six of which overlook the spacious car park across the quiet country road. It is located about 6 miles from Thorpe Abbotts which is easily accessible. The food was excellent and modestly priced and whilst not boasting a large selection of wines they looked to me like I would enjoy most of them. I have included a link to one of the sites that advertise this Inn. There are many other sites to be found for the same location - just Google the Inn name.

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/sh ... e_ID=23881

Chris
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Chris

No dragging required , I will hopefully make it. I will definitely aim to be there so count me in.

Tony G

From the wilds of North Yorkshire.

Not sure which vehicle to bring ! How's about the fire tender ! It's got a lovely brass bell !
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Tony,
That's excellent news. If you bring the fire tender you will only have to put on your firemans clobber to protect you from the elements, should it rain - not that it will of course, this is supposedly the driest part of the UK. Be great to see you in another one of God's own counties (second only to Yorkshire of course).
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Now you're making me really homesick. 12th century pubs? Stop it! :)