Rally Roll Call 2008

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Re: Rally Roll Call 2008

Post by chris lambert »

Tony,
Totally understood and meant 'tongue in cheek'! The evening will hopefully be a time for relaxing and being entertained. Which reminds me - please be aware of the following:

THERE IS NO BAR AT THORPE ABBOTTS. DRINKS OF WHATEVER VARIETY WILL NEED TO BE PURCHASED BEFOREHAND AND BROUGHT ALONG TO THE VENUE. THE EVENT IS A BYOB.

Recepticles for the pouring into, will be provided!
Chris
Edited to add: Tony, this notice was not specifically aimed at you, but is a message to all potential attendees! :oops:
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Tony,

Lets have a drink ,enjoy the music and talk decent motorcars :)

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Just 103 days to go to the start of the 2008 Summer Rally. Time to send in your entry, in order to guarantee the magic of motoring on the unspoilt lanes of Suffolk and Norfolk. These roads are bypassed by the hordes on their way to the fleshpots of Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft and are virtually traffic free. Plenty of accomodation still available and some surprises in store for all participants over the course of a packed weekend!
Last edited by chris lambert on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Excited already! Are good dogs on leads allowed on airfield? :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby wrote:Excited already! Are good dogs on leads allowed on airfield? :?
Can't see why not - there is no livestock on the 'drome, it's all arable!
Chris
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Just had final confirmation that all of the remaining details for the Saturday night (12th July) 'do' have been approved by the 100th Bomb Group Museum committee - so all systems go. Just got to get lots of Rallyists there now! Only 100 days to go to the start of what promises to be a good weekend. Have you booked yet?
Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I need to find out if i have a trial in my land rover that weekend, if i do, then sadly i won;t be able to attend, i'm going for the big trophy this year!!
Besides that, the minor is lacking an engine at the moment...LOL!! :roll:
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Eventful day so far. Have been to both of the Saturday Rally venues to meet with our hosts for both the lunchtime and evening events. The 395th B.G. at Horham are holding an open day today, with a number of veterans flying in from the U.S. to be there. I witnessed a very moving ceremony involving an official U.S. honour guard, bought in from the USAF base at Mildenhall. The Americans certainly value their former warriors.
After that I made my way the eight miles to Thorpe Abbotts to finalise a number of details for the Saturday evening event. Most importantly we agreed to the positioning of the Marquee that will house us if the weather is fair on the 12 July. I took the opportunity to take a few images:

The Guard of Honour parading the 395B.G. Colours for the Vets present at Horham.

VJ lined up in front of the Thorpe Abbotts control tower. The lawn immediately in front of the photographer will be the site of the VMR Marquee.

VJ and Norma in front of the stretch of concrete peri track to be used for the Driving Tests that will determine where the Lewis and Nicholson Trophy is headed in 2008
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Lovely photos, Chris. The weather looks fantastic. Definitely Semi-sports weather!
chris lambert

Just 5 weeks to go!

Post by chris lambert »

The summer rally weekend is rapidly approaching. Although time is running out, it is still not too late to fix the the weekend of July 11th,12th and 13th into your summer schedule and book some accomodation. If your car is not yet ready for the road and you have a trailor - bring it along, we would love to see it. It is amazing how the enthusiasm of others can inspire a spurt in progress. If you are close to finishing your car, the summer rally is a fantastic place to show it off to fellow enthusiasts. Both of my cars were finished just in time to attend the 2003 Prescott Rally and the 2007 Dorset bash. Even if you are not a Minor nut, but simply enjoy good company, old cars and very quiet roads, get your pre-war car out and join us over the week-end. There is no compulsion to take part in all of the activities - just choose the 'bits' that appeal. The full Rally Weekend 'Agenda' can be found elsewhere, and if you do decide to come (and why not?), you can be sure of a very warm welcome in this part of rural Suffolk.Tickets are available via Ian G.
Chris
chris lambert

Three weeks to go!!!!!

Post by chris lambert »

I have just got back from plotting the route for the Saturday tour. I also took the opportunity to finalise arrangements for Saturday night with the Thorpe Abbotts museum Curator. One calling in point has had to be removed from the schedule and that is former 96th BG B17 base at Snetterton. Unfortunately on Saturday July 12th the Snetterton Race Circuit is hosting a round of the British Touring Car Championship and is expecting a crowd of 20,000 plus! I don't think we want to get tangled up in and amongst that little lot. However, I did take a photo of their airfield memorial, which has to be the most impressive I have come across to date. The photo gives no impression of scale and the tip of the memorial must be 40 feet from the ground.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wow - what a beautiful sight!
chris lambert

Re: Rally Roll Call 2008 - Friday evening 11th July

Post by chris lambert »

Re; Friday Evening 11th July
Please note that if you are intending to eat at the Swan on Friday evening - book in advance. Sample menu here:

http://www.hoxneswan.co.uk/festivemenu.htm

Tel. no. 01379 668275
Chris
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Can anyone confirm that they have received their rally tickets from Ian? Apparently there have been some postal delays.
Chris
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Chris

Received tickets for Cream Tea and Saturday Evening Party today.

Where is Ian ? He seems to have vanished into thin air ?

Tony G