Rally Roll Call 2008

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

chris lambert

Re: Rally Roll Call 2008

Post by chris lambert »

Friday 11th July Rally assemblage.
We are hoping to meet up with Summer Rallyists here http://www.hoxneswan.co.uk/ on the evening of Friday 11th July. This beautiful pub is just a few yards from the famous watermill and is very old car friendly, hosting the VSCC monthly Noggins and annual New Years Day event. The pub is situated about two and a half miles from Thorpe Abbotts and serves wonderful food and real ales. Unfortunately the pub does not have accomadation.
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

Looks good Chris. Are nyou taking bookings for reserving a table for eating? Just trying to persuade Mrs Toby that it's not just about planes and cars! We really enjoyed re-doing the Dorset drive in September. Do you have any outline plans for the weekend so I can tempt her, she wants to know what will be going on!!! Huh, women! :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The general outline (subject to change etc, etc) is that those of us arriving on the Friday will meet up for a beer and something to eat on Friday evening as per earlier post. Saturday morning the Rally starts out from Thorpe Abbotts Airfield and takes in some beautiful scenery and quiet lanes whilst using 'places of historical importance' as way points on an approximately 60-70 mile drive taking in a pre planned stop at a pub for lunch. The rally (or tour - there will be a choice) will be planned to finish somewhere we can have an afternoon tea at about four(ish), so that there is plenty of time to put on make up and see which frock ' her bum doesn't look big in'. The evening is only in the planning stage at the moment but will be centre'd upon the Museum at Thorpe Abbotts, where there will of course be food and 'refreshments' under canvas (marquee) should the weather prove inclement.
On Sunday we a planning a trip to the coast and back, again using the back roads, returning to the Airfield where the 100th Bomb Group will have advertised our cars presence to attract some addittional customers. The Rally will wind up whenever rallyists want to leave on Sunday afternoon.
As you can see from the above, it has a similar feel and formula to the succesful Dorset Rally last year. There will of course be a lot more substance added to this over the course of the next 4 or 5 months, but the above is the gist of it.
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

wow :shock: sounds good. Ta, can firm up our arrangements now
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Chris, I'm finalizing M 130 next week and will liaise with you for rally details. I'll also fire up a 2008 rally web page, and do the entry forms. What maps should I order to start planning the nav rally? Anything else I need to do at this stage?
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Toby, if Mrs Toby is coming on the rally where will canine Toby be? Will there be all three of you sat in your two seater?
Cosy or what!!! :shock: :?
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ian,
I think the two maps (unfortunatly) are Explorers 230 and 231.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks, I'll order them up.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Chris, if you look in "our cars" you will see a rash statement to the effect of the 4 seater saloon being on the road, you can also monitor how slow the progress is! :cry: I hoped that by going public it would spur me into action-what was I thinking? :oops:
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Well now that the Missus and the Dog are coming along as well, you'll need a Saloon - so get your skates on!! In fact you'll need a lwb Family Eight, but I suspect you might have one of them tucked away in your garage somewhere :P
Toby

Post by Toby »

Have a pair of family 8 axles that go with the remains of a special, will have to research to see if it was a family 8 when new! As previously stated I don't have lots of cars but enough odds and sods to build a 29/28/30/31/32/33/34/cms/special/2seat+4seat/salooner fabric/steel bodied with sv engine! Bit like the country and western song about the bloke at the chevy factory who built a car from odds over 15 years! All i need is a van badge and a fire tender bell. :lol:
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Chris,

I'll be there , without the minor but will bring my other car .

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
Whatever car you pitch up in is not important, the important thing is that you will be there (together with your wife of course). If you happen to 'turn up' in the Aston, we will permit you to park it amongst the hallowed ranks of our 'humble but proud' Minors! See if you can persuade some of the other Dutch contingent to attend. :)
Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hi Chris.

Just booked the Suffolk barn and the boat, no way back for us anymore!
Thanks for the parking spot in minor heaven. :lol:
I have a list of dutch missing minors Ian gave me , working on contacting them all for chassis/engine numbers.
Also trying for some more dutch members.

regards Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
It looks like Ian has recruited you as the VMR's mainland Europe correspondent. Don't forget that apart from Holland, we have members in Germany, Denmark, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Oh, and of course there is the member on Malta (hardly mainLAND) but part of Europe none the less. These are just the Minor owning members. There also must be 1 or 2 M Type owners on your side of the 'water'. Job description states that you must posses the following skills; Journalism, Photography, Personnel Recruitment, Loads of enthusiasm!!
It's great news that you are all booked up for July. Please remember to get the Aston serviced and properly fettled before coming over as it has got to be able to keep up with some 'mighty' Minors and Trevor's '34 two seater is not nicknamed 'The Pocket Rocket' for nothing!
Chris