Rally Roll Call 2008

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Tony Gamble

Re: Rally Roll Call 2008

Post by Tony Gamble »

Hi. Me again !!

What's all this " SPRINT " thing ??

Does it involve more than 35 mph ?

Yipes !!

Tony G
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Tony,
Don't worry about insurance policy sub sections and clauses, doing 35 mph along a Suffolk Lane in a Minor feels like 90mph and you wont be breaking any rules. I can honestly say I would like to be the first driver of a 30's Minor to get three points for exceeding 60mph through our local speed trap. Getting the flashing 30mph warning light up upon entering the village gives me a 'gung ho' feeling that can't be rationally explained away!!
Chris
Toby

Post by Toby »

Clearly I need to get a working speedo on my minor, if theres to be high speed shenannigans, racing against bombers and speed cameras. My sv tourer has been clocked at mid 40's and Gren told me he cruised at 50. Bringing saloon with new engine so the drive from Reading may be enough to run it in? although by the time we get there it'll probably be due a service :lol: I was going to go from RAF Benson with it slung under a hercules but now I've seen the picture of what may happen on landing I think I'll drive instead!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The only problem with a sprint is timing equipment. I don't think anyone has any which records in furlongs per fortnight. :D

An alternative I'm looking into is Driving Tests. The last time we held any was at our very first Summer rally - at RAF Henlow. We might be able to get some of our VSCC members to organize some, which might be a good way of introducing newbies to the sport. These are all run against the clock, but need more than raw horsepower to do well.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Ian,

Why not do an american style dragrace, best out of three between two cars and work our way throught all entry's :shock:
The runway looks wide enough and no need for advanced timing gear.

I also found 3 more minors from the list!

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Some one has been busy. Are they all coming to the summer rally? :D Are they all in Holland or elsewhere across the continent?
If we do have a sprint, you will have to drive the Aston in reverse down the strip! Despite that I still think you might win it.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hi Chris,

Should't it be a minor only race? or maybe ohc versus sv in two three car teams?
I am happy to to do some timekeeping or help out marshalling.
Rally is looking great, can't wait

Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
If we can persuade the landowner to let us use his stretch of concrete, I would imagine for various Health and Safety rules that a sprint would not be permitted and that we may be able to hold a series of driving tests involving lots of red and white cones and pieces of rope! Lets hope we get the permission from the landowner.
Chris
halbe

Post by halbe »

Chris,

The red tape situation over here is just the same.
I'm sure it will be a great weekend .

Halbe
Toby

Post by Toby »

From material I've been reading, Roland Smith of the Morris Register was the driving test king, back in the day. I remember PJ taking part in one at Burford in the 80s- reversing into spaces, slalom etc. At the time the minor tourer clearly had the edge being the smallest most manoueverable pre war morris! Not sure how it would pan out if it was only minors, perhaps we should invite other cars (except 7s) so we get an unfair advantage!!! :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Sunday 13th July Recce Trip Blog

Post by chris lambert »

I decided that it was time to recce the proposed Summer Rally Sunday trip to Southwold. I needed to establish the mileage from Thorpe Abbotts to Southwold to ensure its feasability as a Sunday morning dash to the coast and back. Outside temperatures today, in this part of the world, have struggled to reach 6 degrees C and the morning was grey and overcast but the cross country route along unclassified and B roads was picturesque, even in late winter. The distance was a smidge over 30 miles to Southwold Pier and even without planning it, the route takes in two WW2 airfields (Metfield and Halesworth) along the way. Upon arrival at Southwold the sun shone but the temperature in late morning was 3 degrees C lower than inland. One thing the trip clarified was that parking could be an issue although there is a large Pay and Display car park just to the north of the pier.
There were plenty of people around all well wrapped up against the weather many of whom were taking shelter and hot drinks in the numerous pier cafes. Lets hope that temperatures on 12th July are about 20 degrees C higher than today.

Chris
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Knowing Ians ability at making things happen, he'd be able to arrange parking right next to the pier....

Really hoping to get MT to the rally again this year, will probably only be there for the saturday run, at the moment i'm awaiting a call to say the heart of the monir is ready for collection from it's surgeon...... the old heart is still in place at the moment, but really really want to do this yrs run with a new beat under the bonnet.......!!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Re: MT (Empty!) heart transplant.
Hi Ronald,
I hope you can make it to the rally, new engine 'an all. The route should be ideal exercise for a newly transplanted organ such as MT's, all gentle slopes and lots of flat bits.
Apologies for the awful pun on your car's index letters, but you can blame Trevor Wilkinson for that. He has taken to naming the whole VMR fleet after their index letters. My car has recently taken on Indian nationality after Trevor named it Veejay. It's current sojourn at the trimmers to have a hood fitted is actually for a new turban according to him!
Chris
chris lambert

Southwold Pier wins award

Post by chris lambert »

Southwold Pier has just won the U.K.'s "Best Seaside Attraction" award for 2008 and the Lord Nelson Pub in the same town shared the award of "Best Coastal UK Pub". Perhaps we should change the location of the Rally HQ by moving it 30 miles eastward! :wink: Anyway, goes to show that Suffolk has got a lot to offer VMR rallyists! :D
Chris
Here is the press cutting:

NEWS

Suffolk celebrates coastal awards

STEPHEN PULLINGER

17 February 2008 20:25

The best place to be beside the seaside is Suffolk, according to national judges.

While Norfolk missed out altogether, Suffolk was awarded three top accolades in the first annual awards run by Coast magazine.

The Lord Nelson in Southwold was joint winner of best coastal café, pub or restaurant for its "charm, heritage and heart", while Southwold Pier picked up best seaside attraction for its "quirky and individual renovation of a coastal classic, and its breadth of appeal".

This is an extract from today's edition of the Eastern Daily Press
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

This image of USAAF wall art was taken today, somewhere along the rally route - aah, but where??

Last edited by chris lambert on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.