VMR Summer Rally 2012

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

VMR Summer Rally 2012

Post by Ian Grace »

Web page launched today.

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/summerral ... _2012.html

I'll be uploading the 2012 version of the Pre-War Prescott website next week.

This is shaping up to be a superb weekend with a greatly expanded Pre-War Prescott, and our inaugural Northern Weekend the following weekend.

Roll on summer!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VMR Summer Rally 2012

Post by Ian Grace »

Finally tonight, the 2012 Pre-War Prescott website is now launched at http://www.prewarprescott.com. Online entries are open and there is also a downloadable entry form for those who prefer snailmail. This year, VMR members not only receive a GBP 10 discount, but all advance entries will also receive one free climb of the hill. With these incentives, it is hoped to see at least 25 Minors booked in for the day. It is about time we had a really substantial lineup to raise the profile of our cars, so please get your entry in without delay and start the ball rolling.
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Ian Grace wrote:... will also receive one free climb of the hill.
I think my camper isn´t old enough? 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Those who attended Pre-War Prescott last year may remember meeting Joy Rainey - one VERY special lady (http://joyrainey.co.uk/home/ and http://www.bmsad.co.uk/introduction-1/c ... red-bloggs).

I am delighted to say that Joy will be joining us again this year and reports that she now has full sponsorship for her 2013 drive of her 1904 Oldsmobile Curved Dash - coast to coast across the USA (http://www.joy-across-america.tv/)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Delighted to announce that our very good friends at the SU Carburetter Company will once again be our main sponsor for Pre-War Prescott 2012 and we are working with them on brand new trophies for 2012 - more of those superb polished and mounted SU carbs.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Probably long overdue for an update!

Planning going well - about three months of work to squeeze into just over a month, as usual, but we're getting there. Most time is currently being spent on getting the next Magazine finished (M 142) so I can bring it with me, the Programme, which will be printed at the end of this month alongside the Magazine, then the Nav Rally/Tour and Tour Handbook which is always a lot of work, but also a lot of fun to research and assemble. Then I have all the awards to sort out and plan for, and the marshaling plan to put together (sincere thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help on their entry forms!) and a ton of liaison with the traders, the RAF and other displays and guests, catering, supporting clubs, local media publicity and so on. Right now, we have 82 entries and this includes 19 Register vehicles (and 21 Register members) - Minors and M Types, which isn't bad at this stage, but we would like to see more of course!

There is to be a second half-page advert in the July Automobile (right up front on the same page as the SU advert) and we have an invite coming up in the next VSCC Newsletter. The success of the day will be very much proportional to the entry, so if anyone is wondering how to help, please just get the word out to friends, local pub meets, etc. I can e-mail over flyers, entry forms, etc. if anyone could put them to good use, or simply point them to the website at www.prewarprescott.com.

Other than that, Jayne and I are really looking forward to this year's weekend. For the last two years I have flown over just for the weekend, but this time, Jayne is coming with me and we are staying on for the inaugural Northern Weekend and looking forward to a few relaxing days in the Dales midweek. And we're looking forward to meeting as many of you and your families as possible during our trip.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Guys, a quick reminder that the Summer Rally is just over a month away! If you are planning to come to Prescott on Saturday, but have not yet sent in your entry, now would be a very good time to do so, because even though you can simply turn up at the gate on the day, all advanced entries receive a free climb of the hill, worth five pounds, which you don't get at the gate. In order to get tickets to everyone by post from Seattle in good time, it would be really helpful if online entries are made within the next few days at http://www.prewarprescott.com or at least e-mail me with a firm booking so I can get all the tickets sorted and away by the end of this month.

So far we have 7 OHC Minors, 7 SV Minors and 6 M Types booked in and a total of 85 entries in all, and we expect many more before entries close, so it is definitely going to be a very good day!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A quick head count shows 24 VMR members booked in - which is about 10% of the membership, which isn't a bad number considering that we are spread all over the globe! And I am sure that there will be more on the day.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Phew - 12 hours straight today, working on the Sunday scenic tour - with lots more to do to complete the Tour Handbook and navigation rally clues. The entire 60 mile route has been steeped along in Google Earth street view to check junctions, signposts, etc. I could have driven it much quicker - it I wasn't in Seattle! I'll actually be driving the route twice for real - once on the Friday before the Rally to check things out and liaise with the various stops, and again on the day in our rental car to 'sweep' the route. This year I'll be carrying the tow rope that I bought two years ago to haul the Bateys to the lunchtime pub stop after they broke a half shaft half a mile from the pub!

This year we are heading south and west from Prescott and into Laurie Lee country. I was unfamiliar with much of the territory, but I must say that the route is incredibly scenic - perhaps our best route yet. We'll be stopping for lunch at the Carpenters Arms in Miserden, but the rest of the rout must remain secret until the day.

Three weeks tomorrow, and I can't wait!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A fantastic entry is shaping up for the Summer Rally. So far we have 15 Minors (7 OHC, 8 SV) booked in and 7 M Types, and 24 VMR members in attendance, which has to be the biggest and ever gathering of the Register. We also have three D Types and five Wolsley Hornets booked in so far. There is still plenty of time to enter, or simply turn up on the day.

Clive Holland is bringing his lovely 1933 4-seater tourer to meet with the Gilg family (son and family of the celebrated Mr. Gilg who drove his 1933 tourer form Liverpool to Capetown in 1933). The family is bringing their father's original diary from the drive plus some other artifacts to display. We have also secured a replica of the serpent mascot (originally fitted to a Hispano Suiza) which was fitted to the car on its epic drive, and the family will be presenting this replica to the Minor that drove furthest under its own steam to get to the Rally.

Martin Redmond will also be there with his 1937 Morris that he just drove around the world, so he should have some interesting stories to tell.

As for other entries, these are up to about 111 as of this morning, with two just in from Switzerland - a Sunbeam and a 4 1/2 Bentley, bringing to five the number of overseas entries, including new member Ronald Trumpi who is bringing his Minor from Holland.

And the Sevenists are organizing to try to win back the Lewis & Nicholson Compass in the Sunday Navigation Rally. This compass is competed for annually by teams of Minors and Austin Sevens, and the VMR won it for the first time last year, so a vigorous defence is anticipated!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Another big planning day - 4th July is Independence Day here in the US, so I got the day off, which allowed me to finalize the Navigation Rally. This now matches the Scenic Tour, and the Route Cards and Clue Cards are all ready for printing, as well as the explicit route instructions which are handed to the navigation rallyists in a sealed envelope - just in case they get hopelessly lost, and so that they can enjoy the rest of the day by transferring to the Tour. The Touring Class Handbook is also ready for printing, so everything should be ready to be packed by early next week. With M 142, the Rally Programmes, cameras, awards, etc., etc., we'll be paying for several extra heavy items of luggage!

The next task is to prepare the Marshaling Plan and get a draft to everyone who has volunteered to marshal. And the marshals' free beer chits are already printed!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Two weeks today, and two more vintage Minors booked in yesterday - those of Stuart Clark and Lee Robertson, bringing the Minor count to about 16 which should make an impressive lineup in the Paddock. And we have a couple more that are possibles but the owners cannot commit just yet. Any more out there?

Tickets, paperwork and Final Instructions for Sunday for all entries received so far were posted last night from Seattle - 126 in all! Frank Ashley has a supply of tickets so advance entries are still open, as he can post tickets locally First Class up to a few days before the day. SU put out their final Newsletter before Prescott last night and the Pre-War Prescott website counter is going crazy, as the have about 50,000 addresses on their distribution list, and at last the VSCC has printed our invitation in their July Newsletter that came out a couple of days ago.

A draft Marshaling Plan has been prepared and distributed to all those who have volunteered to marshal over the weekend, and their FREE BEER chits have been printed!

Jayne and I are flying over Wednesday week via Vancouver, arriving Thursday morning into Heathrow and then driving up to stay with our old RAF friends Peter and Ally Balding in Cirencester. We'll be calling into Prescott, on Friday morning to sort all the last minute issues and then driving the Nav Rally route, making final checks of the route paperwork and co-ordinating with the various stops along the way, then heading for the Royal Oak at Gretton for the Friday evening reception. The Royal Oak is under mew ownership this year, so we are expecting good food and fine local ales.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

One of the last things to organize is a club tent. I'm hiring a 12' x 12' tent with tables and chairs, etc. We can display all the trophies there, and gather the goodies for the lunchtime HVA auction. We will also have various VMR stuff for sale - the new car badges, back issues of the Magazine, membership forms, etc. and we will have the new Summer Magazine which members will be able to collect. We'll also have spare table space to offer spares for sale by members. if you have any Minor/M Type spares you want to sell, just bring them along with your name and prices on them and we can put them on display.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Minor entries so far:

Andrew Batey '34 2-seater
David Roscoe '29 Semi-sports rep.
Clive Hamilton-Gould '30 tourer
Ronald Trumpi '34 2-seater
Philip Butland '31 2-seater
Mike Wood, '32 2-seater
Colin Lee '30 saloon
John Pallister '33 saloon
John Newell '32 2-seater
Robin Harcourt-Smith '30 CMS or Meadows Minor special (the ex-Peter Plant car)
Nick Craddock '29 fabric saloon
John Nagle '34 2-seater
John Stubberfield '29 tourer
Clive Holland '33 tourer
Pat Guthrie-Jones '30 saloon
Lee Robertson '29 fabric saloon
Philip Butland '31 2-seater

M Types:

Frank Ashley
Nigel Stroud
Roger Burnett
Ian Judd
Peter Burt
David Hinds
James Fanshawe

24 Register cars in all so far - a fantastic record entry!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Our very own John Hicks is being interviewed about Pre-War Prescott on BBC Radio Gloucestershire this Thursday - between 2-30 p.m. and 4-30 p.m. if you live in the area.

Thanks to John for setting this up, and thanks to the Beeb for their support.