VMR Summer Rally 2012

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VMR Summer Rally 2012

Post by Ian Grace »

We've bought a very nice tent for the VMR for Prescott so we will have plenty of space under cover for all our stuff, and at least somewhere to stay dry! The car badges ship today - Premier has made 102 badges for us.

So we'll have these available for the Summer Rally and the Northern Weekend.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Everything is just about set for our Summer Rally and Northern Weekend, and thankfully, the weather forecast is improving all the time.

Yesterday, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight confirmed the Spitfire to 1410 hrs, so a good cloudbase for his display will be most welcome!

We're just about packed and will be heading out tomorrow, arriving in Heathrow Thursday. I should be able to pick up e-mail, but for any last-minute issues, our contact number in Cirencester will be 01285/770357 from Thursday evening.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Heading for the Airport! :D :D :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well this is cool. Sitting in a bar at Seattle airport, having breakfast and a beer and updating the Forum with my cellphone!

Pity there's nobody online to chat to!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Philip!

He went.

Hi John!

He's back again - hi Philip!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Now I'm sitting in a bar in Vancouver having a Molson, waiting for the red eye to London. 9.5 hours. :(

I'm bringing the down draught SU for the McEvoy to give the SU boys at Prescott to sort out. They are turning up in force this year with the Skinner and a Star.

I have in my bag a new pair of OHC calormeter wings and a good 1929 16A white faced ammeter if anyone is in need.

Picked up the programmes and tour guides, etc. from the printers this morning - they have done an outstanding job on them. They installed a brand new $200,000 Xerox print machine yesterday and our Prescott programmes were the first job it ran. Print quality is superb, and M143 will be the first Magazine to roll off it - to the same quality. It even puts a square spine on the Magazines. They ran a single copy of M142 off it to show me. I'll have it at Prescott. Maybe it's about time we had some VMR binders made for the A5 magazines.

I also picked up batch 2 of the Anniversary DVD's and threw a dozen in my luggage for Prescott, and the car badges should be waiting for me in England.
garagiste

Post by garagiste »

Great day on Saturday, first real "summers day" this year. A good crowd, plenty of interesting cars, the Spitfire was on time and was much appreciated.

Pity circumstances dictated only a limited stay, travelling in a modern; however the date is already in the diary for next year.

Hope all went well with the tour/rally today.

Thank you Ian for all your hard work and effort.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

A very enjoyable and challenging weekend. Thanks Ian + team for all of your efforts. We were worried as we drove through torrential rain in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire on Friday afternoon. I was really pleased that the Morris was on the trailer and that we were not causing chaos driving through the monsoon.

We arrived at Prescott a little worried about how we would find the camping field. Whoever organised the weather, thank you. Camping was dry + very pleasant and the right price! We all enjoyed the weekend and the car nearly behaved itself. It broke a front wheel stud 20 miles in to the scenic tour; I managed to break the passenger side door window for the third time and I managed to destroy a front break cable as I drove the car onto the road trailer for the return trip.

The scenic tour, although 'A' Level standard, took us though some country lanes that we would never otherwise have found. The ford, that was really a deep river was perhaps the highlight. It was not a simple crossing of a river; the ford required the car to get into the river, and then drive along the river bed for 50 metres. The type of thing you see Off-Roaders on TV doing!

I followed Stuart through. The exhaust on his Minor was an inch or so lower than mine and became a little unhappy in 18 inches of water. Nothing for it but to get out + push him while Joy kept her hand on the accelerator to let mine continue to blow very interesting bubbles out of the submerged exhaust pipe. we were entertaining the locals who were trying to stop folks from attempting it. I did notice the two Austin Sevens ignored all advice + were really pleased when they managed to get through. The chap with the green Alvis was desperate to have a go. He did managed to get through.

An excellent weekend, thank you
Stuart in Ford.jpg
Stuart in Ford.jpg (172.47 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a brief note while we are on our travels in Yorkshire prior to the VMR Northern Weekend coming up.

Looks like we did get 17 Minors at Prescott and there are some great pictures and videos appearing on the Internet, including the Sevens in Duntisbourne ford and the Spitfire, and plenty of pics of Prescott and the nav rally.

I get home next Tuesday and will start some serious posting then.

Looking forward to meeting more members Friday night in the Rose and Crown at Romaldkirk.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

First few pics coming in. These from Alan Rhodes:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 4ad8211a24
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Getting excellent press on the VSCC and MMM forums. Here's some extracts:

From the VSCC forum:

"I have just spent a very happy day at Pre-War Prescott. Great weather, wonderful company and about 100 pre-war cars in attendance. Very much the right atmosphere and indeed very slightly reminiscent of the way the Club used to be (and I suppose still is, at least at Prescott). There was a chance to drive up the hill as well - a first for me and the Aprilia. All in all, a peaceful and civilized day and a tribute to Ian Grace, the VMR and all his helpers."

"Ian, You and your team are to be congratulated for a most successful event. It ran like clockwork. There was a noticeable increase in the turnout with several new entrants such as the C and K3 Monoposto M.G's. The flypast of the Spitfire was well timed and the auction run by HVA was a success. The weather was spectacular and the atmosphere magic. Well done all."

"I went to this event. It was a lovely relaxed event. I came away hoping that an official from our club had gone along for a look to see what it offered. In my opinion this sort of event is just what so many members long for in this day and age when so many VSCC events are high powered and expensive to participate in. "

"An excellent weekend, superbly organised by Ian Grace. Highly recommended. At Prescott on Saturday, the weather was bright and sunny, the RAF BBMF's Spitfire Mk.Vb did low level passes at lunchtime and the auction raised money for the RAF Charitable Trust. I started early and managed five runs (non competitive, not oficially timed) up the hill, back-to-back, before 10:15. Ten more horsepower and two cwt. less would have helped the Alvis 12/60 ascend more rapidly. Sunday's Navigation Rally demonstrated Ian's predilection for steep Cotswold hills and fords (we went through five, including the 40m one along the river at Duntisford Abbotts). At the cream tea afterwards, my navigating elder brother and I discovered we had won the non-Austin/Morris class. This event is already pencilled in my diary for next year: third w/e in July, although there is the possibility of it being earlier to give a longer gap before VSCC Prescott."

And from the MMM forum:

"Just back from a super day at Prescott, orgniser Ian Grace even managed to get the weather right!

There was a good turnout of Triple-M cars namely:-

Mike Dowley's ex Evans C type
2 standard M types plus 12/12 replica
M Coupe
4 D types
J1
3 J2s including the unique REAL bodied car which looked superb
F 4 seater
K3 with the Hawke family
L1
L2
5 PAs
NB 2 seater

There was also a good turnout of TA/TBs including the TA Ted Hack has owned since 1963!

The day was well supported by many other makes of pre-war cars."

"Seconded - a nice relaxed day "tinkering" & going by the number of times some went up the hill & good time was had by all, also the REAL J2 brought back some old memories. It's so nice to take your own time warming up & not to hear "would all cars in class X now go to the paddock exit" when you've got a stone cold engine!"

"Just returned from Pre-War Prescott, it was just great. Almost every type of MMM car there, drive straight in through the gate, no crowds, completely relaxed atmosphere, met lots of old MG friends, Spitfire flypast, climb the hill as often as you like, and as competitively as you care to make it, or just let the wife trundle up with the kids!!! It will be interesting to compare it with the VSCC event. Thanks to the organisers, couldn't be better!"

From Mike Dowley:

"Wonderful day at the Vintage Minor Prescott meet. 'The right crowd and no crowding' as they used to say. No noise police so very relaxing! The Spitfire display was excellent. Regrettably due to staff sickness during the week we were unable to load and bring the S&V Spares Lorry - so brought the Evans C/R Sprint Car instead. Congratulations once again to Ian Grace and Frank Ashley for a wonderful day. In response to Colin Morse's post I don't think you can compare the excellent Vintage Minor Prescott to the present VSCC Prescott. Maybe it was what Prescott used to be like pre-war! In the 21st century VSCC Prescott has become a victim of its own success. Too many people, too many competitiors and not enough room."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Nice writeup and photos/sketches from artist/photographer Martin Squires:

http://martinsquiresautomotiveillustrat ... -2012.html