Ignition and springs

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

john.newell

Ignition and springs

Post by john.newell »

The ignition system looks a little tired, indeed the HT leads are badly cracked and the distributor caps jumps off every now and then. The advance and retard has been 'set' somehow and does not rotate. 1st job is to replace the HT leads and sparkplugs. The latter are marked 'Autolite B7'. Can anyone recommend a more modern alternative and where to get them from, together with HT leads.

Does anyone have the spec for the springs on the from brakes? On one side there is a single spring and on the other there are three.

John.
plj

Re: Ignition and springs

Post by plj »

John,
I'm presuming you are referring to the brake shoe pull-off springs, if so there are two on each side, one at the cam end and one at the pivot end with the dual purpose of retaining and returning the shoes. Ian Harris (01462 456330) has some in stock and if the state of mine are in any way typical it may pay to replace them on all brakes. I am presently working on my brakes with the hopes of obtaining an MoT by March and, as an aid to this, will be starting a new thread specifically for cable brakes as found on the £100 minor. It will initially start with a load of questions as I attempt to build a fund of knowledge and answers to common problems.
With regard to your ignition woes I'm afraid I cannot help as I haven't even looked at mine yet.

Regards,

Philip