Hood colour for Hundred Pound Minor

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Hood colour for Hundred Pound Minor

Post by Ian Grace »

Can someone confirm that the early (production) Hundred Pound 2-seater Minors had tan hoods, and not black? The Semi-sports had a tan hood, and I think the SV 2-seater did as well. Thanks, Ian
Toby

Re: Hood colour for Hundred Pound Minor

Post by Toby »

The contemporary Morris pictures of tourers and 2 seaters seem to show a tan hood although many seem to get recovered in black during their life
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Toby,

I was pretty sure that was the case - just wanted to check. Thanks, Ian
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

The official Morris colour is 'Light Grey' as described in the 1931 Scuttle-tank S.V. Minor brochure.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Chris!
plj

Post by plj »

That would probably fit in with the early "one colour" grey paintwork but do we have any corroboration as I would like to restore my early £100'er to original spec sometime in the future.

Regards,

Philip
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Not too sure what other corroboration you would need - but this extract is from the January 9th 1931 edition of the Light Car magazine and confirms the fact. Also take a look at the period photos that are available, although they are in B&W, they clearly show a light colour.
Attachments
LC extract 9th Jan 1931.jpg
LC extract 9th Jan 1931.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
plj

Post by plj »

Thanks for that Chris. I was not doubting your information, but in "The Morris Motor Car" by Harry Edwards the hood is described as (khaki-grey twill) and several other contributors have suggested tan. Khaki to me has always brought to mind a colour more related to brown or tan, and grey a more basic colour involved in mixing black and white. Through many years mending cars I have quite enjoyed the descriptive licence of motor manufacturer's advertising departments, where something labelled exotic green is in fact dung brown, but it does not help when dealing with 80 year old vehicles with not an original one in sight!

Regards,

Philip
Toby

Post by Toby »

I suggested tan as it clearly isn't black in my 1932 brochure pictures and I know the 1932 2 seater was tan! You used to see very few restored cars with the correct tan hoods but I don't think I've ever seen a grey one, yours will possibly be the only authentic £100 (pre 32) minor! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

PS do you have the early engine for it (pre chassis 5000 odd)? I know where there is one if you are looking for one!
plj

Post by plj »

Thanks Toby, I will ask my "hoody" people if they can find me any "grey twill", rather ironic as when they made the hood bag & tonneau for my M8 Tourer they were extolling the virtues of a new black hood material which did not turn grey with age! They were right, two years on and still black as pitch.
With regard to the engine, I am lucky to still have engine no. U1240 which is I believe the original for my chassis 802. However being an inveterate collector of bits and pieces (i.e. everything) and not yet having had my engine running a spare would not come amiss, depending of course on price and condition. I will give you a call tomorrow evening.

Regards,

Philip
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Hi ,

Would it be safe to assume that the 1930 OHC tourer also came with the Tan Hood ?

Kartik