Dynamo Info

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

lee_rob

Dynamo Info

Post by lee_rob »

Hi All,

I have been in the hunt for a new dynamo or someone to rewind my current one and have come across a place in Nottingham which seems to be just the ticket.
Name of the company is:

Classic and Vintage Dynamos Ltd
Address: Unit 7 Shirebrook Business Centre
Vernon Court, Vernon Street
Shirebrook
MANSFIELD
NG20 8SP
Telephone:01623 747666
Fax: 01623 747666

I was after a DEL24 dynamo and he said he keeps them in stock on the shelf including other models such as the larger DDS2. He will rewind in either 6v /12v and also as either 2 brush or 3 brush. For me to do an exchange for mine its costing £250 which I think is a reasonable good price seen as though I can just walk in and get one off the shelf.
Hope that will help anyone out who is need of new eleastictrickery......
I will let you know what my new one is like when I pick it up later in the week.

Lee
Toby

Re: Dynamo Info

Post by Toby »

Yes, many people including me have used him and I have heard no complaints. You can get a dynamo with regulator built in too.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Thought I would sing the praises of this dynamo guy. Went on Friday and it turned out he didn't have the correct one on the shelf. So he offered to completely rebuild mine while I was up there, so I went away for 4 hours and came back to a fully rebuild unit. Amazing service really, it looks like new.

Lee
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Just thought I would update this thread, seems the dynamo I had rebuilt it still duff. I had it checked by another electrician who pointed out that neither the field or armiture windings have been replaced, which is irritating as i paid for a complete rebuild. I am going to see the guy on Monday with the Dynamo which I have to take off the car yet again and find out whats going on. I have a feeling I have been diddled here. Incidently does anyone know at what revs the dynamo should cut in at, as this one does start to create a couple of volts but only at around 2500 rpm which seems a little high to me.
Any ideas guys? Also has anyone used them before and had any success?
Toby

Post by Toby »

I've used him and although he can seem a little brusque I've not had any problems with my dynamo and haven't heard any complaints elsewhere. Would be interested to hear the outcome...
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

I have had a quotation from a very reputable company who have done superb work for me in the past, at a figure around £650 for a complete rebuild which includes all coils rewound, and I have always been surprised at the Nottingham prices.

I believe that Jeremy has had problems with them in the past too!

Draw your own conclusions, I have not dealt with them personally.

Tony G
john haine

Post by john haine »

I used these people

Carwood Rewind
Yeovil
Somerset
01935 476255(ask for Richard)
http://www.carwood.co.uk

They did a good job on my 6v M-Type dynamo including building up and recutting the thread on the main shaft. It still works fine a couple of years' later. They are recommended on the Triple-M website also.

John
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Another possibility is -

Wood Auto Supplies Ltd
Cromwell Works
Colne Road
Huddersfield
HD1 3ES
United Kingdom

About four years ago they rebuilt a 6v vertical dynamo for me and supplied new field coils for another.I do not know the cost of a rebuild at present but they were prepared to test a unit and give an estimate. They seemed to be well thought of at the time and they have a number of branches where you can call to arrange for your faulty dynamo to be tested.

I find the potential amount of money it is possible to spend buying a faulty dynamo and then having it fully rebuilt quite frightening.
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Well I have the dynamo back on the car now after taking it back to the guy who refurbished it. He tested it while I was there and he managed to get volts out of it but he couldnt tell me at what rpm it was generating it as his equipment didn't have a tacho on it. So he agreed to send it to another company locally in Nottingham to have it independently tested to see what it was producing at what rpm.
So I on the test report it says that the dynamo starts outputting voltage at around 1500 rpm (2 volts) and rises in a linear fashion up to around 14 volts (open circuit) at around 2000rpm. So essentially it is outputting voltage. I have been out in the car tonight and yes the dynamo is charging but not until I am doing around 25 mph and then only gets up to around 4-5 amps, and this is with the 3rd brush at its maximum setting. If I turn the 3rd brush down at all it ceases to charge at all, this doesn't seem right to me I'm not sure I should have to have the 3rd brush set this high. However if I rev the car in 2nd gear to around 25mph which i guess is around 3000rpm the dynamo gives out around 10 amps which is then too high....
Obviously I don't want to run the dynamo too high as it will burn out but if I turn the 3rd brush down it doesn't seem to do anything at all....confused!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I am having a similar problem with a dynamo from the same company but can only dream of 10 amps, I can get 3-6 on winter but discharge with headlamps on, looking inside it looks as if it has been repaired rather than fully rebuilt
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi All,

Nice to have the forum back. I sent a starter motor to these people which would only just about turn the engine over very slow. It
was supposed to be overhauled. When I got it back there was hardly any difference. Did not bother with them again.
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

I think this company need to be reported as it looks as though they are pulling a fast one with quite a few people
Toby

Post by Toby »

I think the problem is probably in our interpretation of what we buy. There used to be cheap reconditioned engines for sale in the thames valley trader but the dearer companies always listed that they renewed all bearings, pistons, camshafts, rebored the block etc. The cheaper engines would be stripped, cleaned and any worn out bits replaced. There's a world of difference between the 2!
lee_rob

Post by lee_rob »

Well when I placed my Dynamo in for a "Full Rebuild" that is what I expect not simply repainting the body and spraying the inside with red oxide primer!!! Im not sure how I could have misinterpreted that if I am honest.
john haine

Post by john haine »

My M-Type large-dia dynamo (rebuilt by the Yeovil people mentioned below) gives 4 amps at 20 mph in top gear and 8 amps at top gear speeds of 35 and above. Any help? John