Website transfer to new server

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Website transfer to new server

Post by Ian Grace »

So there may not be any updates to the website for a few days, as the service provider - Freedom 2 Surf - is being acquired by TalkTalk, and it looks like the files are being transferred from one server to another at present. The website can still be accessed, but the ftp (the programme I use to upload new files) is pointing to the new server, but there are no files there yet. All very confusing, but with the help of Gren Strickland, it is being sorted.
Eberhard

Re: Website transfer to new server

Post by Eberhard »

With your PC you resolve problems, you never had before... :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So, as you can see, the website has now been successfully migrated to the new server and is back online this evening. Just need to work out how to reconfigure ftp now, so I can upload updates. This should be done by tomorrow.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Still no joy with the ftp. It looks like the files aren't on the server they are supposed to be on, but they are obviously out there somewhere, as the website is accessible - just not by ftp! Gren Strickland and I are working hard to get this resolved, but it might take a few more days before the website can be updated - and I have a growing list of updates to make - not least of which is the new SV Minor Genome for the first 18,300 chassis.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

STILL getting nowhere. Getting hold of TalkTalk to get them to do anything is a complete nightmare! More urgent actions have been taken this morning - fingers crossed that we can get this sorted in the next few days. After literally hours on the phone to TalkTalk, Gren has given up - which is an indication of how intractable the issue is. :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Finally getting some sense out of TalkTalk - it's been a long story. I now have ftp access to the site back on the original server, so will be making a number of updates over the next day or so. I parallel, I'll be making a fresh backup of the entire website on my local PC just in case there are any more screw-ups as the site is migrated to the new server. Phew!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

As part of the migration process, there is an enormous amount of work going on behind the secens of the website. Today, nearly 2,000 files have been transferred to or from the website. As the process continues, if you spot anything spooky going on with the website, or notice any errors, please let me know. Thanks!