A Swallow-bodied Minor

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

A Swallow-bodied Minor

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking through some old photos sent to me many years ago by the late Harry Edwards this evening, I came across these two, which Harry described as a Swallow-bodied Wolseley Hornet.

But looking again at the photos - this doesn't add up. This is a SWB Minor chassis with SV Minor brake drums, Magna wheels, instrument panel, steering wheel, headlamps with defunct pilot lamp bulb sockets, calormeter, etc. The body has clearly been grafted on by an amateur, who has replaced the SV Minor radiator with one from a Hornet. (Or is it? Might it be a 1932 season SV radiator with a stone guard fitted?). The minimalist front cycle wings, compared to the rears, are attached to the backplates and steer with the front wheels. GW numbers started to be issued in London in December 1931. All very interesting.

So the question becomes, what car donated the body? A later Wolseley Hornet Special perhaps? And it is interesting to wonder when this special was built and when the photos were taken.
Ken Martin

Re: A Swallow-bodied Minor

Post by Ken Martin »

Hi Ian
A photo of this car appears in Harry Edwards’ article on [Morris] ‘Specials’ published in the Morris Eight Tourer Club ‘Journal’ dated 1966 (where also can be found the Maltby works picture posted by you in ‘Our Cars’ under the topic ‘KR5670’ your interesting Maltby bodied Minor saloon – see my comment posted there today).
Harry noted at that time [1966] that GW8539 was ‘subject of a mystery’ – in other words he didn’t know the origins of the car and couldn’t confirm that it was a Minor bodied by Swallow.
This article shows the incredible amount of researched information on special bodied Morris cars, particularly Minors, Harry had already acquired at that time.
I also have copies of these pictures from Harry who informed me, from later knowledge, that the car is in fact based on a 1932 side-valve-engined Minor van chassis. The conversion involving the replacement of the van body with a Swallow body from a Wolsley Hornet was carried out in c1950. I believe the car still exists but have no idea where or in what state.
Ken
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Ken,

Fascinating - thanks for the further info. I had a feeling it was based on a 32 Minor, but didn't know that it had been a van! And it definitely looks like a fifties project!

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have a front axle with the backplates drilled and square bar bolted on for m/cycle mudguards! interesting conversion. That's not a 32 rad as it is too curved on top?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yeah - it doesn't look quite right - may have been modified to fit the bonnet, or it might be from something else entirely - but what?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I was stopped the other day by a chap who thought my 1927 Humber was a 1927 Fiat Swallow!! His Father owned one and my car looked the same. The body on my Humber is a two-seater with a dickey and rounded back (like an Alvis Beetle Back). I sent a photo to you once - can you reproduce it - if not I will try and send another. I have never heard of a Humber being bodied by Swallow, or Avon. The Humber Register cannot help. The body has been on my car since at least 1950. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here you go Alister. Photo taken at the Dial Post VSCC pub meet last November.

ian judd

Post by ian judd »

It looks like a mangled Hornet shell has been put on top of a 32 Minor one. Maybe the shell came with the body? And am I right in thinking that the Hornet rad has its cap under the bonnet?

Ian
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

It is a Wolseley Hornet rad
Ken
Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

It is a Wolseley Hornet rad
Ken
ashford

Post by ashford »

A picture of the car and a short article appeared in the Hornet Special Club magazine about 10 years ago. From memory the general consensus was that it was a Hornet Special Swallow body fitted to a minor a chassis. I will try and dig out the referance. Derek Tew has a similar swallow bodied hornet which often competes at VSCC Prescott- it has to be one of best bodies ever fitted to a hornet.
ashford

Post by ashford »

Just having a quick look for the articel in the hornet special club but haven't found it yet! Interestingly there is a picture of a swallow bodied M type on page 22 of the spring 1985 edition. It has a very similar but not identical body to that of the car in Ians posting. It is regisration LJ 965.
It has morris magna rear wheels so could it be another special? or did swallow build this style of body on the minor / m type chassis.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I hope non of you mind if I tghrow my pennyworth into the pot. I have been Minor less for a year now but still enjoy reading your forum. Re special bodies on period cars. My 1927 Humber 9.20hp has on it today a bettleback b ody - when it was put on noone now kn ows. Humber never made a sports car and never developed their 9hp engine into a sports car. Other makes did - Alvis, Austin, Morris, Wolsey, Reily, Standard, Singer. Why would someone put a sports body on a Humber? Was it done in 1927? Swa,llow (and Avon and Jarvis) put bodies on anyhthing. If it was done in , say, 1935 (Simon is right in stating that bodies were advertised in Moror etc for twopence.) why put a 1927 body on a car in 1935 and not a 1935 period body ki.e. like an MG? No one now will ever know. Keep all this going. Highlander.