Charging

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

TomD

Charging

Post by TomD »

Trying to recommission the Minor after 18 months of SORN due to sticking valves.
When reassembled on the car the dynamo doesn't charge, but was working when last run and it works fine on a test bench.
In my ownership the car has never charged on half charge and I know there was no resistor wire in place on that part of the circuit.
The fact that it works on a test bench seem to point to a switch or earthing problem at the dashboard which we have failed to track down.
Has anyone else encountered anything similar which might help me?
Thanks
TomD
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Try giving the cut out a clean, the points sometimes get dirty and don't make a good contact or conversly get stuck and the widings can't pull them down as they should. If all was well before this is the first place I would have a look at.

Cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This from the MMM Forum which looks worth following up:

Go to http://www.woodauto.com. The contact there is Mark. A brand new MMM armature and field coils for 6 volts is £80 or if you want to convert to 12 volts the kit is £140. A brand new, no exchange dynamo is £305. A reconditioned armature with new commutator is £68 and £78 with a new shaft. Sounds worth following up.

Ian