Speedo cable repairs

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

garagiste

Speedo cable repairs

Post by garagiste »

Does anyone have any tips on repairing a M type speedo cable?

Whole assembly seems far too long, what should the overall length be?

The outer seems nearly new but part of the inner very "manky".
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Speedo cable repairs

Post by Ian Grace »

The two companies I have used for new cables in the past were Speedy Cables or Richfields, and either should be able to sort you out.

I just checked the Brivec catalogue for the Minor (see Members' Area). SWB OHC Minor speedo cables were 3' 10 1/2". LWB OHC and all SV Minor speedo cables were 3' 9" (i.e. 1 1/2 inshes shorter). Hardly seems worth having two lengths so close, but I'd suggest that something like 4' should be fine for the M Type?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,

All SV Minors except very early ones have different speedometers and have different cable end details to the OHC Minors - I sure.Please check your McEvoy against your Minor saloon.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Simon,

Yes of course they have different ends - I was just referring to the lengths. If you look at the relevant Brivec catalogue page in the Members' Area, you will see the different part numbers for the different speedos.
garagiste

Post by garagiste »

Thanks Ian and Simon. When down to Speedy Cables today, having emailed them in advance, they replaced the inner with a new heavy duty 5mm cable (the old one 4mm) and NOS Smiths prewar fittings at both ends. Heavy duty advised because of the high torque requirements of the older speedo heads. The job was done whilst I waited (20min). Cost under £20. Would have been a spectacular run over the Brecon Beacons from Pembridge but for the horizontal rain and low cloud there and back!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Great news - and very speedy of them!