Pre-War cars and the VSCC

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Pre-War cars and the VSCC

Post by Ian Grace »

In the October VSCC newsletter, there is a report from the club's August committee meeting. The following is reported:

"The committee agreed to there being a 'Champagne' beginner's class in rallies for next year and this can include any Pre-war car whether or not they have a buff form."

(A buff form is the VSCC's eligibility document that every competing car must be in possession of. It is granted by the club to all vintage cars (pre-1931) and certain 'post-vintage thoroughbreds' - including all chrome radiator Austin 7's, but not a single SV Minor. So a 1934 7 Box saloon is eligible, but a McEvoy Minor is not.)

This is a HUGE victory for those of us who have been campaigning hard for ALL pre-war cars to be granted VSCC eligibility since their last eligibility review four years ago. This will obviously include all SV Minors.

The precise definition of the 'Champagne' beginner's class is not offered in the Newsletter, but committee members are being asked to amplify, and an explanation will be posted here as soon as it is known.

The dam has been broken.
ashford

Re: Pew-War cars and the VSCC

Post by ashford »

This is great news. It will hopefully give me the impetus to finish my 34 long chassis side valve special instead of wondering if I should be spending my limited funds and time on a car I can actually use in the vscc. (Hopefully specials will also be included) Will this include vscc trials?

I still find it hard to believe that you could build an odd special with a daimler 15 hearse engine in say a 1930s rover 10 chassis and by the rules, it would be eligible but a good 1930s sports car like a Hillman Aero Minx is not eligible. The present situation is clearly illogical but I am not entirely sure that allowing all pre war cars is the right answer. This proposal seems an excellent half way house which should encourage younger members to get involved.
ashford

Re: Pre-War cars and the VSCC

Post by ashford »

looking at the vscc list of events. Presumably side valve minors may be eligible for bginners in:
The Measham Rally
Northern Rally
Central Rally

Presumably they wouldn't be eligible for the Vintage Welsh Weekend or the Light Car and Edwardian Section Rally.

So three possible events.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I suspect that this apparent change of heart has more to do with money and under-subscribed rallies than any shift in feelings towards pre-war cars. But it is good news for those previously non-eligible cars, as the more events that they are eligible for means that they are more likely to be restored and used - like your LWB Minor. It also means that young enthusiasts can now pick up a relatively inexpensive pre-war car and enter VSCC rallies, which must be good for the movement in general.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

ashford wrote:looking at the vscc list of events. Presumably side valve minors may be eligible for beginners in:
The Measham Rally
Northern Rally
Central Rally

Presumably they wouldn't be eligible for the Vintage Welsh Weekend or the Light Car and Edwardian Section Rally.

So three possible events.
James, I think may also include the tours, of which there are a growing number. But not the LCES events, as they have always been for vintage cars only.

This year, there were:

Three Counties Tour
Yorkshire Tour
Brittany Tour
Derbyshire Heritage Tour
Norfolk Tour
King Billy Tour (Yorkshire)
Garden of England Tour (Kent)

I think it will all hinge on subscription levels for these events. If these tours are already fully or over-subscribed, then I doubt whether non-PVT cars will be invited. I'm working to get clarification from the committee.

While this new scheme (which is evidently only verified for the 2012 season so far) is only for some events, it will surely make it that much more difficult to exclude pre-war cars at the next eligibility review. What is most important is to get some SV Minors into 2012 events and show the non-believers that there is nothing to fear from being swamped by 'gray porridge', as some of the die-hards have unkindly described our cars.
Toby

Post by Toby »

most of us porridge owners probably can't afford membership of the vscc :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So here's a reply I received from Kevil Lee which provides full clarification:

"Hi Ian,

For the last few years (started under Annabel's sub committee chairmanship) the number of tours organised by the VSCC has increased significantly. These have ALWAYS been open to ANY pre war car - no buff form required. The simple reason being they are non competitive.

A VSCC rally is a regularity and navigation competition - with eligibility passports (buff forms) required - no change there. The "champagne beginners class" is part of the new effort to increase the numbers of people entering the rallies, and is a non competitive touring class who will offered the same instructions as the competitors, but I believe extra tuition, the route in an envelope, and running as a non competitive tour class. Hence no buff form required.

I understand that some members mistakenly believe they can only enter tours with a buff form. Hence the point being re-iterated and especially now that new buff form's need more photo's, which may put off some from bothering to get one.

The thinking is to encourage more people to take up VSCC rallying as a competitive sport by giving them a taster and a 'gentle training aid'.

Does that explain it?

Kevin"

So the bottom line is that any pre-war car is eligible for any non-competitive event - including all the rallies and all the tours, and that the change is to introduce a beginners class in rallies. The entrants in this class will receive the same clue sheet, but also the actual route in a sealed envelope in case of getting hopelessly lost. What I will ask Kevin to further clarify is - what happens if you get around the route and return with an unopened envelope? Is there any form of award? If not, the sealed envelope idea seems a bit pointless - other than to prove to yourself that you can work out the route without it. It is probably worth pointing out that, on VSCC rallies, there is a timing element as well as a navigation element. Your start time is recorded and you have to travel the route at a predetermined average speed. So, when you check in at the various check points around the route (and you don't know where they are), penalty points accumulate for minutes early or late compared with your expected arrival time computed form your departure time from the start. Sounds complicated, but it works. The reason we at the VMR don't have a timing element on our rallies is because the administrative burden with the RAC MSA is onerous, and we'd also need armies of marshals positioned around the countryside to run the check points and calculate the timing. We would also have to have more marshals at the start, ensuring that cars left at precise times, so the whole thing gets very complicated to run on the day.

On our navigation rallies, we always provide a sealed envelope containing clear route instructions to every competitor, so that if you do get lost, the rest of your day isn't wasted. Envelopes are checked at the finish, and an opened envelope relegates you to the scenic tour.

But returning to the new relaxation of rules/new class, it is clear that rallying numbers are down, and this is seen as a way to fill the classes. As Kevin alludes to, the number of tours organised by the VSCC has increased significantly - a result of popular demand for non-competitive days out without the cerebral strain of the navigation rallies. And we find the same in the VMR - that we have roughly twice as many entries for the scenic tour than in the parallel nav rally. At first, this was thought to be because the tour was cheaper, but when the prices were equalized, the differential in entry numbers between the nav rally and the tour remained about the same.

It will be interesting to see if this new VSCC rally class makes any significant difference to rally entries.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby wrote:most of us porridge owners probably can't afford membership of the vscc :lol:
Not surprising. UK membership is GBP 67 for direct debit or GBP 72 for cheque or credit card payment. Not cheap, but you have to remember that they only have reserves of half a million pounds...

I was talking over the weekend to a friend who was on the gate at VSCC Prescott in August. At 3 p.m., a family of five who were not VSCC members turned up in a very nice vintage car. The spectator entry fee was GBP 25, so they had to write out a cheque on the spot for A HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE POUNDS to get in - for an hour! My friend took pity on them and gave them a free programme (knowing that they were all going in the bin in a few minutes anyway).

If they had turned up to our Pre-War Prescott, they would have been charged GBP 10 for the car and all occupants to spectate there all day, and not charged at all after about 2-30 p.m. Or for GBP 35, they could have actually parked in the Paddock and he could have driven their car and all his family up the hill. And for another fiver he could have taken home an onboard video of his climb on DVD! (But their programme would have set them back GBP 2. :D)

And remember that the VSCC doesn't have to pay the Bugatti Owners Club for Prescott, whereas it costs us well north of GBP 5,000.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

More fool them for paying £125 for an hr Ian.... i would have sat outside and watched the cars leave, and been better off for seeing all the car actually being driven..... well, those that didn't arrive on trailers!!!!