Peking to Paris

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

garagiste

Peking to Paris

Post by garagiste »

During the Summer of 2011 Kip and Carmen Waistell drove, unsupported, from Peking to Paris. Unfortunately they used two vintage Austin 7s! However, they had an epic journey. The purpose of their journey was to raise funds for SmileTrain the charity that treats children in developing countries with the dreadful affliction of cleft lip and pallet.

They will be giving a slide presentation of their exciting cross continental journey in PEMBRIDGE VILLAGE HALL HEREFORDSHIRE ON WEDNESDAY 2 NOVEMBER AT 7.30 pm. Tickets in advance price £7.50, to include light refreshments, may be obtained from David Hinds, Garage House, East Street, Pembridge HR6 9HA. Please make cheques payable to D. Hinds and enclose a sae. All profits to SmileTrain.

There will be a number Minor Register members there, perhaps some of them will be inspired to make this journey in a Minor.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Peking to Paris

Post by Ian Grace »

David,

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention, and I will include this information on the website and in the October Newsletter. Other Sevens have done this run before - but supported by the Peking to Paris Rally infrastructure. So this was a truly magnificent achievement, and for a super cause. Just this morning I am planning a no-reserve auction at Pre-War Prescott next July in support of our nominated charity, the RAF Charitable Trust. I'll be inviting participants to bring along spares and items of general vintage motoring interest to be auctioned in the lunch break - with 100% of the proceeds going to the RAF CT. Hopefully by this means we will be able to make an even more significant donation next year.
garagiste

Re: Peking to Paris

Post by garagiste »

Ian,

Thank you.

This is the second time that Kip and Carmen have made this journey. Previously it was also unsupported and by a different route, they have also made part of the journey by motor scooter - some people are gluttons for punishment!

Will start looking out bits for the auction next year.

David.