Finish on M type finned brake drums.

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ian judd

Re: Finish on M type finned brake drums.

Post by ian judd »

Just had a look at my wheels. I don't think the spokes on RX 5971 are any different to standard M/Minor.
On the subject of registrations, why would MG register a car themselves? Was this standard practice for unsold cars? Or perhaps as demonstrators? My M (in bits) RX6229 was built on the 27th Feb. 1930 and registered to the MG Car Co. and later sold to Mrs. Maude Louise Jessop via Strandings Ltd. in Newbury ( information courtesy of Mike Dalby). There seems to be no indication that there was anything special about the car.
Ian
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Ian(s),
Read chapter two of 'Maintaining The Breed' by John Thornley and all will be revealed. RX 5971 is almost certainly 'Shinio' as detailed in this chapter and was the development car for the Double Twelve team cars. The MG Car Company first registered a number of competition cars during this period including the Beggars Roost Midget RX 6795 and the Samuelson Le Mans car RX 6796.
Chris
Attachments
RX 6796 Silverstone June 2003 copyright Chris Lambert
RX 6796 Silverstone June 2003 copyright Chris Lambert
RX 6796 Silverstone Le Mans Midget.jpg (153.04 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Thanks Chris my bedtime reading is the first two chapters of 'Maintaining the Breed' which I have never got round to reading before.

The Samuelson Le Mans car RX 6796 looks impressive.I would be very interested to walk around it.I see the owner has opted for exposed aluminium fins and hydraulic brakes.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Someone also asked be about the horn on the M which was mounted 'face up' in the front dumbiron cover on some M's. I think this was a feature of late M's. Anyone have any more specific information?
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

This type?

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

That's the one. Is this a 1930 fabric model?
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

This looks like a fabric body to me and I would guess late 1930 or early 1931.It still has the curved headlamp supports. The parts list below is entitled "M.G. Midget 1931." Notice the later style advance retard, the later ignition switch unit and the wiper motor.The ignition switch may of course be for a Coupe model.