Alloy con rods.

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

garagiste

Alloy con rods.

Post by garagiste »

Searching through boxes of stuff I acquired years ago I have come across a set of four alloy con rods with p/b shell bearings, dimensionally the same as my steel OHC rods. Where/when were these used?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Alloy con rods.

Post by Ian Grace »

Wolseley Hornets. I have a set of six myself, but have been advised not to use them because of crystallization of the alloy. Not sure if this is an old wive's tale or not. I bought them for the Mac off eBay a while back, but I'm probably not going to use them.
Toby

Post by Toby »

crystalization of the white metal, surely the alloy would be ok?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

I understand the fatigue life of these alloy rods is a worry. A chap with long experience in the motor trade (one time owner of 2M 371) said that his very early M-type started out with alloy rods which it was advisable to anneal from time to time.
Last edited by Sam Christie on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So annealing them is a solution to their ageing - interesting. I have a set of six with +30 pistons if anyone is in need.
Simon

Post by Simon »

OHV Minor engines from No U35392 to 1933 used alloy rods. Reference Remax part No MM 171/309 and Brivec part No EB 11/309 lists the bearing shells and also the longer con rob bolts. I have a set of + 40 thou shells and four substandard rods.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Not sure that is correct - the rods were re-designed and took shells, but I believe they were steel. WR Morris wasn't a fan of any performance-enhancing mods if they compromised reliability in any way. M Types were made until 1932 and they all have steel rods as far as I am aware.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I am pretty sure that they are alloy as if you look at the Remax and Brivec parts list you will find that the small end clamp bolts are longer to suit the alloy rods. Also I believe that the gudgeon pins in the Hornets are a different diameter, one being imperial and the other metric. Would you please check the diameter of yours and I will check mine.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Below,some alloy rods with what looks like white metal,if this is possible - are they white metalled steel shells?

Simon

Post by Simon »

Sam, They are heavy brass or bronze shells which are factory white metalled. I have a set of four new 40 thou undersize (crank pin) shells but the rods have damaged locating pins for the sheels and the caps may have been filed.