Electric fan?

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Electric fan?

Post by Ian Grace »

I had an e-mail today for a lady whose husbald has a Series E 8. She has booked it into a local carnival, but hubby has protested that it will boil over if it runs at walking pace for a couple of miles in the parade. She asks if anyone knows of a convenient electric fan conversion that might fit the car. Any suggestions?
DF9053

Re: Electric fan?

Post by DF9053 »

Hi Ian,

I can't think of any 6 volt electric fan units, I certainly have never come across any.

The Series E had a fan attached to the dynamo, the only thing I can think of is to up the number of blades from 2 to 4 to try and increase the flow of air at slow speeds.

Cheers
Jeremy
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,

Give the radiator a thorough flushing using a flushing agent and when finally filling add antifreeze which raises the boiling point of water.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have a 6v, four blade dynamo for sale if anyone is interested. High,lander. 0208 393 6732.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I could be interested in the four-blade fan for the Mac - specially if I do the coast to coast trip! Would you split?

Ian
rusty_old_nail

Post by rusty_old_nail »

Kenlowe used to make a 6v fan. I had one on my Series E for a while (having removed the fan on the dynamo). It was operated by a thermostat and switched itself on so rarely that I eventually discarded it. ...but I didn't do carnivals :x .

As has already been suggested, a properly maintained cooling system should do the trick.
Roland Smith
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Yes, I will split. Keep in touch, Highlander (L.O.V.M) Local only vintage motorist!!!!