camshaft/valve timing

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

kiwi

camshaft/valve timing

Post by kiwi »

has any one used a different cam grind than the MG M mk 2 in their ohc minor? say a MG C or a J2 type cam grind....neville
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Neville,
My brother used a J2 cam in his 12/12 M Type. The engine had a Phoenix crank and modern rods as well as numerous other tuning mods.
It went very well although not very tractable. Apparently much better driven through a four speed box - he didn't like driving it with the three speeder.
Chris
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I once had a Minor with a C Type cam in it - much to hot for road work - lumpy idle and only got on the cam at high revs. Unless you are going racing, I think the 12/12 is the way to go. As a matter of course, I always fit a 12/12 cam and skim the head to standard M Type compression ratio on all my OHC Minors. The skim is simple - skim so that the thickbnss of the head - from gasket face to rocker cover gasket face is precisely 3.5".
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Do the J-type heads fit Minor blocks?

Bet that would be interesting!
morrisnutter

Post by morrisnutter »

DF9053 wrote:Do the J-type heads fit Minor blocks?

Bet that would be interesting!
Yes they do. Ask me again in a year or two and I'll let you know how interesting it is......
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And vice versa M Type/Minor blocks can be fitted to J Types, which is where a lot of Minor blocks end up. I think the only difference is the stud diameters.
Alice

Camshafts

Post by Alice »

The mention of 12/12 shafts reminds me that I have been meaning to find out just what they are. Can anyone give me the timing data for one of these cams (i.e opening and closing angles, overlap, lift). I have a nice looking cam which may be a regrind of original, or something with better "lungs", and would like to have the data to check it against.
Cheers,
Barry.