Front engine mount

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Front engine mount

Post by Ian Grace »

Among the bits and pieces in the toolbox of the fabric saloon I found this interesting piece. It is an original front engine mount assembly, comprising nut/bolt/spring washer, large top washer, steel sleeve and a pair of rubber bushes. These would have been common to the OHC and SV Minor and M Type, and other MMM/Wolseleys.

I'll send it over to Ian Harris and see if we can get a batch made up. The larger rear engine mount assemblies are available from Mike Dowley, but I don't think anything like this front mount is available - I have just used any suitable piece of rubber and a nut and bolt before. The steel sleeve ensures that the nut can be tightened, but the rubber isn't squashed.

Interestingly, I checked the original Morris illustrated Parts List and it just lists and shows a single rubber bush, bolt and washer - no distance piece, so I suspect what I have is an aftermarket Remax/Brivec item. In any case, the design looks superior to just a plain nut, bolt, washer and single rubber bush. Note that the rear mount has rubber above and below the engine foot.