Steering Column length

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

mikearmstrong

Steering Column length

Post by mikearmstrong »

I have a suspicion that the steering column of the M-type that I am assembling from a "kit form is too long.
When the box is placed in its bracket the steering wheel seems to me to intrude too far into the cockpit.
The problem may.of course, be due to my being fairly tall and far from skinny.
If I am ever going to drive the car with any degree of safety and comfort I reckon that 2 inches from the length of the column is necessary.
Before going further - could/would some kind person be able to tell me the correct length of the steering column - or be able to confirm that the
accompanying measurements are correct/incorrect.
Inner column length is 50 and a half inches
Outer column ( from inside edge of top and bottom flanges) is 45 and half inches
Alternatively - how far (approximately) is the steering wheel nut in a horizontal line from the vertical front edge of the body scuttle?
Any help apreciated - thank you - Mike
PS - still looking for a good second hand MG-M sump.
ian judd

Re: Steering Column length

Post by ian judd »

Mike,

I have just measured one. The tube alone is 44 3/4" . The column measured from the bottom of the serrated nut to the very top where the bolt goes, is 47 3/8ths.

Hope that helps,
Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I seem to remember that the M column is 5 1/2" longer than the Minor. The F Type was longer still. The McEvoy has a standard Minor column with an extension - haven't measured it, but suspect is is the same length as the M. It has a Bluemells Brooklands wheel fitted - where can I get a new one - mine is probably beyond restoration. And how much will one cost me?
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Bluemell wheels are still available Ian, from John Kimble, Kimble Engineering - johnkimble.co.uk - but sit down when you ask for a price!

Cheers
Jeremy
john haine

Post by john haine »

I have a spare Adamant steering column that is around 6 inches too long for my M-Type. I am thinking of having it shortened to make up a spare unit. Has anyone had this done successfully? If so could you please advise who did it? John :?:
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
I bought a modern Bluemell wheel for my M8 tourer as I had one fitted to my original tourer back in the 50's (vanity). I seem to recollect paying around the £280.00 mark.

Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Philip,

I'll start saving my pennies. I might bring one back with me next month. I once found a very long steering column in a barn in Worcestershire - too long for an M Type. I'm pretty sure it came from an F Type.

Ian
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Take a look at http://www.vintagemgparts.com/ . Vintage MG Parts supply these steering wheels too and they have an impressive catalogue.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Sam,

The steering wheels look great, but I'll have to find or have a plain boss made up - it's not for an MG!

Getting back to steering columns, I think the M column was about 5.5 inches longer than the Minor unit. Back in the seventies I was helping John Peckham build an M Type out of a Minor (not quite so frowned on in those days!) and I gave him the dimension . He had owned an M long ago and put it in a ditch. The only thing he saved was the logbook, so you can imagine the rest of the story. John was not a well man and passed on far too early. His friend Mike Thomas took over his '29 Minor and the M and this all came to mind again last week when I heard from Mike's son that he is offering the M for sale.

Incidentally, the McEvoy has a standard Bishop cam Minor box and column with about a six inch extension piece attached between the top and the steering wheel to make it about the same length as the M column.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

I know someone with a Hornet tourer; this also has an added bit on the top of the column. It must have been common practice among coachbuilders.
Simon

Post by Simon »

My Jensen bodied Minor has an Adamant (OHC) steering box with an extension.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting - Minors were fitted with Bishop cam boxes by your chassis 33787, so perhaps the box came from the 1931 OHC van that your car is hybrid with, and the extension came from the '33 Jensen.