Blockley tyres

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Blockley tyres

Post by Ian Grace »

I am just in the process of fitting a set of new Blockleys to KR 5670. When I was them, they seemed very low profile. Now I come to put one up against the old tyre, it is a good 2" smaller in diameter than the original tyre, which surprised me. At the least this will out the speedo/odometer out, and reduce ground clearance by about an inch. And I'm not sure what it will look like sitting on low profile tyres.

Has anone else fitted Blockleys to their Minor/M and might like to comment?
ian judd

Re: Blockley tyres

Post by ian judd »

What size have you got? My 'Classico' tyres (the company was bought by Blockleys) are 4.00 x 19 and are definitely 27 inches in diameter. Blockleys are made using the same moulds and rubber. Maybe the Minor is on 4.50 tyres?

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The new tyres are 350 x 19, and I think the car might currently be on 400's which would account for an inch of difference in diameter. I wasn't aware that Blockleys did 350's and 400's x 19?

I wonder if I should eBay this set over here and put the funds towards a set of 400's. Or maybe there is a Blockley US agent who would do a swap? I was going to get the first tyre fitted at lunchtime today, but will hold off until this is resolved.

I should definitely get 400's for the McEvoy - I want to see it get to 70 mph as advertised. :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just checked the Blockley website. The 350's are GBP 39, the 400's GBP 69 - big difference.

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

One other thing - I only need four tyres as I want to keep the spare - it has "LONDON TO BRIGHTON' signwritten onto the tread!

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Julian Majzub replied:

"Dear Ian,
We have an agent in Calif but I don't know if he will have any of these tyres - Roger Kraus and the email is roger@krausracing.com
We can always send out some 400x19's if you want any - if so Lee Hillsdon at the Blockley office lee@blockleytyre.com can get a price from the couriers. The 350x19's we make are sold at such a ridiculously low price that it wouldn't be worth sending them back as the post would cost more. You'd be better off selling them to someone in the USA to get your money back, or something along those lines.
Best wishes,
Julian."

So I think I might go ahead and fit these 350's anyway - just to get the car mobile so I can push it out of the garage to work on it to get it running, and then pick up some 400's later on and put what will be a set of nearly new 350's on eBay.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

I think you would be better off selling the 3.50s as new, and just replacing the tubes in the current tyres - they don't even have to come off the wheels to do that. Then just re-use the tubes for the 4.00s when you get them. Don't use the 3.50 tubes though as they probably won't blow up enough. Are the tubes in the current tyres repairable ?, some might be.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ian, I came to the same conclusion last night. The tyres are a bit cracked on the sidewalls where they have stood flat for years, but the tread is good. For the time being, I'm not expecting to do many miles - the priority for now is simply to be able to wheel the car out into the drive to be able to work on it - the garage is a bit cramped with the two Minors, the Mirror dinghy on its road trailer and a Piper Colt that will soon be replaced by the Tiger Moth!