2011 Yearbook

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

2011 Yearbook

Post by Ian Grace »

Currently starting to gather previously unpublished material for publication later this year. Some superb period photos are being researched, and I just received a superb article from a period trade journal from Robin Barraclough which describes in unprecedented detail the production process for the Minor, written in 1929, and with some fascinating photos, including this one showing a batch of fabric saloons progressing down the Cowley line.

I have not seen this photo before - has anyone else? I'd love to be able to read the chassis numbers on those chassis plates. :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Yearbook

Post by Ian Grace »

Browsing the article, I came across this, which answers a longstanding question as to the colour of Minor engines:

"To distinguish between different engines, however the Minors are painted black and the Cowleys red."

From the accompanying photographs in the article, it is clear that the gearboxes were unpainted.

And further on:

"On the Minor engine practically the only operations are the fitting of the sparking plugs and wiring up the distributor, and the fitting of the carburetter."

And further on:

"The only holes that are now drilled in the erecting shop are those for the engine feet, the remainder of the drilling being carried out in the adjoining works of the Pressed Steel Company where the frames are built. A large jig is employed for drilling the four holes for the engine feet in the Cowley frame in conjunction with gate type drilling machines, and a similar installation is being laid down for the frames of the Minor chassis."

And so it goes on - a truly illuminating article.