Skinner for sale

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

Skinner for sale

Post by ashford »

The skinner Triangle special is advertised for sale on the vscc website. This is the one that was developed from the 100 mph 100 mpg brooklands car. I think continual period development means there is little of its minor origins left but it is still an important part of minor history. I hope it remains a part of the hillclimb scene with its new owner.
ashford

Re: Skinner for sale

Post by ashford »

posted it twice for some reason and can't delete the other!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sorted James.

And posted on the website. I spoke to Andrew and there is a good chance that he will bring the car to Prescott if it isn't sold, or perhaps the new owner will. So we have the prospect of reuniting the Red and White Minors on the day. I'm not sure when that last happened - or if it has ever happened. It would certainly be an incredible sight.

I have an idea of the asking price. E-mail me if anyone is interested.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the Red Minor with Carl Skinner's son Peter at the wheel in 1933.

This is the celebrated 100 mph, 100 mpg Minor which Carl Skinner rebuilt with a light aluminium 2-seater body with right-hand steering for his 19-year old son Peter who created a sensation at Shelsley Walsh in September 1933 making the fastest time in the 850 c.c. class. At that time it was fitted with a J2 gearbox with remote, Zoller blower running at 24 psi and Hartfords, but retaining cable brakes. Re-engined with a Hudson straight eight in 1937, this car was to become the Triangle Special. The SV engine used one of a small batch of special K.965 steel blocks that were cast for the car.

It was used up to 1937 when all the special blocks had been used up. Carl then fitted the straight eight Hudson engine of 4,168 c.c. with four SU’s – 138 b.h.p at 4,900 rpm! In this form, Peter Skinner won the five litre class at Shelsley in 1937 and both 1938 climbs. On the second occasion, he did 41.22 sec, an unsupercharged record which stood until 1948. In 1939, Peter did 43.6 sec, and got second fastest Shelsley Special – second to John Bolster!

After the war, the car was acquired by Ted Lloyd-Jones who ran the Triangle Filling Station. It became the Triangle Skinner Special - named after the garage. The car, by now fitted with hydraulic brakes (imagine 148 bhp with cables?!) and centre lock wheels, appeared at Prescott in 1948 (50.65 sec), Weston-Super-Mare October 1949, Shelsley 1950 (43.5 sec).

Andy is reluctantly offering this historic car for sale, but has found a Frazer-Nash that has been tucked away since 1962 - and we all know how that sort of situation works... Let us hope that it finds as good a custodian as Andy has been in recent years.

With this and the ex-Bev Hicks McEvoy currently on the market, how does one choose...

ashford

Post by ashford »

ashford

Post by ashford »

The photo above shows the car at Brooklands. This is 1970s print from a British Leyland Negative. It was rescued with a pile of others from a skip outside a Bristish Leyland factory. I purchased it at Hatherleigh Autojumble in Devon.