M-type Speedometer Face Image

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

M-type Speedometer Face Image

Post by Sam Christie »

I have asked this question on the MG Triple M site too -

This is purely experimental but has anyone access to an original M-type speedometer face which they could place in a scanner and scan at a good resolution and then email the image to me? The face does not need to be perfect for the idea is to tidy the image (Photoshop perhaps) and then try printing it for application to a speedometer face. For ease of scanning the ideal face is one from a dismantled speedometer. I do not think it would work to scan the face or photograph it while the speedometer is assembled.

This is the type of face I am looking for -

And here is another example of the same thing -

Highlander

Re: M-type Speedometer Face Image

Post by Highlander »

Sam, What is wrong with the face you have (speedometer)? Looks OK to me. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This from M 131 - suggest you contact Eric and see if he can help.

For Sale Reproduction Smiths white-faced PC speedometer faces – correct for the OHC Minor. They come as vinyls, with accurately pre-punched holes. Cost is £8.00, inc postage.

Eric Mouser, 9 Sampage Close, Reading, Berkshire, RG2 8UD (H) 0118/376/7621 eric.mouser@ntlworld.com

(Posted 11/6/08)
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

The problem with the faces of the two speedometers in my pictures is that they only illustrate what I am looking for and belong to others far away.The face behind the smashed glass was photographed a number of years ago and would make a very good sample but the M-type it belongs to has changed hands since then and I have no idea where it is today. It belongs to the M-type which Paul McNaughton in Ireland had on sale some time ago.

Eric Mouser needs an original image to work from to produce one of his copies and would help if only I could provide one.The sample face needs to be removed from the speedometer to be scanned satisfactorily.
Last edited by Sam Christie on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sam,

Have you spoken to Patrick Henry? He moved his instrument restoration business to Ireland a few years ago. He's done several panels for me in the past, including the one I'm sending out to India for Kartik's tourer. If you need Patrick's contact details, I'll look them out. He may have a face available for copying. I have Paul Macnaughton's UN 3351, 2M/885 for sale last October. Paul acquired it from Jack Corr in Eire who owned it as far back as 1966.

Paul may be contacted at autojumbler@eircom.net.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Ian,

Thanks.I have contacted Paul McNaughton and he is in turn trying to contact the current owner on my behalf.This is becoming rather complicated. May I have Pat Henry's contact details too please?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

VINTAGE INSTRUMENTS (Patrick Henry). Address: Gortaderra, Scarriff, Co. Clare, Ireland Phone: 0035 361 921478
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Sam,
Just to complicate things a bit more.... didn't the 12/12 have a Jaeger speedometer?

Ian