M22335 (1930) Minor Tourer (India)

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

parthmehd

Re: M22335 (1930) Minor Tourer (India)

Post by parthmehd »

Now that's what I call snappy progress !! Keep it up, dear chap !! How does it feel to hear the sound of the engine you so lovingly restored ?
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Kartik, you must be very pleased!

When you take the chassis for a run, do cover the universal joint and propshaft. I once got the fright of my life by not doing so - my overalls got caught in it!

Regards, Ian
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

I can second Ian's observation - I had a similar experience whilst being towed on a very cold day in an open car (a Triumph Super Seven actually) when in an instant the rug wrapped round my legs also became wrapped round the propshaft but by good luck the rug tore and my legs did not get involved.I dread to imagine what would have happened with stronger fabric.
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

@ Parth, I am pleased but nervous, as I am sure some new hurdle will crop up now :|,
also I spoke about the linkages you require and they can be cast here, however it would be best
if I put you directly in touch with the concerned person, he has a wedding in the family and would be free post 10th oct.

@ Ian & Sam : Thanks for bringing this to my attention, would be very careful now , specially after the incident with Ronald.

Regards
Kartik
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

update:

As always there was a new hurdle, we fitted the radiator and the fan , but the fan refused to move all
of a sudden and was jammed, so the bush had to be repaired/redone and that took time.

yesterday, we fired the engine again and kept it running for almost 6 hours.
ran nicely , sounded great , and starts at one go.

petrol was supplied through a can connected to a Solex carb, which I borrowed from a Herald.
and water was supplied to the radiator by a good chap who stood there all 6 hours , pouring water in the radiator.

Members have advised on the risks associated with driving a chassis , so what we'd try to do today is to put the body,
minus the wings and the doors on the chassis , and secure it with a few bolts, and then hopefully tomorrow ( which might mean another 10 days ) take it for a spin.

video to follow soon....

Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Wow, Kartik - I can feel your passion and excitement! Can't wait for the video.

All the very best of luck - we're all behind you, this will be the ONLY running vintage Minor in the Continent!

Ian
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Ian ,

Never been so excited, and you're right, there are minors in India, but I have still not come across
a single prewar OHV in running condition, so that is superb as I am sure once this car on roads here
and in the rallies all over the country , I am sure it will get a lot of attention.

and there is no denying the fact that we would have not come to this point if it was not
for the support of all you guys back in the West.

Kartik
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Here is the youtube link to the video which I recorded yesterday,
pls let me know if it sounds and looks right.

sorry for the poor quality as it was recorded on a cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1R2G0S2DuY

Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sounds sweet to me. Got oil pressure? Does it charge? We have to find you an SU carb!
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Ian Grace wrote:Sounds sweet to me. Got oil pressure? Does it charge? We have to find you an SU carb!
Yes it does charge, but have'nt measured, how much ?
oil pressure is the tricky part, I used the meter that came with the car to measure the oil pressure,
so dont know its accuracy, however when we fired the engine at first it was at 25, after a couple of hours
it measured 7.......

is it normal or has to be taken care of ?, .....research time..
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

After some 40 odd years M22335 is back on road , took it for a small drive,
did not want to take the bare chassis for a spin so bolted the body , no fuel tank and no front brakes .

Decent drive, needs tune up and carb, everything looks to be good and I am hopeful that
in the next few days , we'd go for that longer drive.

My son was in the workshop today , he is seven and is a vintage enthusiast in the making :D
Shivaansh with the Minor
Shivaansh with the Minor
DSC07038a.jpg (74.12 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
couple of links of the video , I made with my cell phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPKDO8Ldmlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf1BEa2ieK8

(I am not in the video's , was a back seat traveller :lol: )

regards
Kartik
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations, well done, wonderful! And fantastic to see it weaving in and out of the traffic!

It's a cloudless but frosty morning here in Seattle, and you have inspired me to see if I can get the fabric saloon fired up today!

Ian
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

enjoyed the videos Kartik, looks great, not sure if I would have the nerve to negotiate that traffic with 'half' a car - I worried a lot about my little ride on a quiet estate road!

well done

John
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I am currently watching the ice road truck drivers taking on what must be some of the worlds toughest roads in the mountains of india..... which leads me to say, that only in india could you get away with driving half a car down the road, with three people on board.... with what must be pretty useless brakes, well, they all are aren't they..??

Good progress......!!
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Thank you all !!

Yes, Only in India , Half a car and that traffic and might as well as add that this was
sunday afternoon here , you can imagine a weekday :shock: .

but it was fun and cannot wait for the next phase of restoration.
so much is still left to do , Paint job, Upholstery, Hood, Nickel/chrome.....and many more.

regards
Kartik