The Indian tourer

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The Indian tourer

Post by Ian Grace »

As reported on the website, this very complete and fairly original 1930 tourer (M22335) has turned up in India, having been off the road for thirty years. This photo was taken a couple of years ago. Since then, the body has been removed and the restoration has commenced. More news on this fascinating Minor shortly, but in the meantime, can anyone help with a correct radiator cap, 'Baby' calormeter and wings?

Note the rather eyecatching billboard in the background. :D

Highlander

Re: The Indian tourer

Post by Highlander »

Is that a cow bell on the drivers side? What is it then? Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm not quite sure Alister - looks like a horn inside a ring of some sort. Look at the brakes - looks like Bowdens turned through 180 degrees? Or are they hydraulic pipes?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This just in from Kartikea - the owner:

"Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for your email and for appreciating the car. I am trying to get the history of the car, but will take some time
what I know is that it was first owner by the Royal Family of Ayodhya in India.

I am based in Jaipur and acquired this car last month, for many reasons, one being its originality and its rarity in India.

We got the engine running last week and right now we are removing the body from the chassis, All restoration is being done by
a garage owner who himself has a large collection of vintage and classic cars and is very passionate abt them.

Though most of the car is original, small modification have been made to it over it 81 yr old life span in India.

Like it doesnt have the original side lamps/ calormeter/ the wiper / the horn and the dash panel /switches and meters.

These are few of the parts which I would look to source with the help of Morris lovers.

I will be emailing you more pictures soon and thank you so much for sending me Parth's address, I will contact him soon.

I would like to make this car go back to its former glory being as original as possible, of course I might not go in for Niagra blue as the body color.

More later.

Thanks"
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And this just in:

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And this.

Amazing instrument panel! Looks like the original panel with an oval steel plate overlaid.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Highlander wrote:Is that a cow bell on the drivers side? What is it then? Highlander.
I think it's a French horn!

Interesting that it appears to have the later self-alinging door hinges which were introduced at chassis M27098 I September 1930 for the 1931 season, but the chassis is apparently M22335 - laid down about March 1930. But, as they say, you won't notice at 50 mph!

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

The photographs says it all!! Some horn!!. A vintage motor cycle horn would look better. I have a bugle horn but that would not look right on a small car. Good luck on the restoration. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Kartikeya is joining the Register, so we will see a lot more of this fascinating car.
KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

Ian, These Hinges , do we need to change them. I wonder what many more changes have been made.

Kartikeya
Last edited by KartikeyaL on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I don't think I would worry about the door hinges unless you want to get meticulous about originality. These are actually an improvement over the earlier plain ones, and you can still by the new balls, bolts and and spring sets for them if needed, so they are simple to overhaul.

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/lis ... rts~hinge/