door fittings

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

door fittings

Post by Toby »

Here's a question....
My 4 seater 1932 sv tourer has the 2 piece hinges with brass balls and saloon door handles fitted to tourer door catches. I am aware that some 4 seaters had hinges at the rear of the door and that mine is not a cut down saloon so is this correct/superior or has it been the subject of an upgrade in the past!? A lot of "improvement was done to the car in the past!I want to try and stay original.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Toby

Re: door fittings

Post by Toby »

so the ball type are what you termed "self aligning" in the indian minor post and introduced on the cammy minor but maybe not the sv tourer? I would assume the £100 minor would have the plain hinges on a cost basis and the 34 2 seaters appear to use them but as they may have been used on the more expensive tourers I think I will stick with them, especially as they appear to be readily available!!!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Correct - the '31 season OHC Minors had hinges with balls and special bolt and springs in - hence self-aligning, as opposed to plain steel pins. I wouldn't like to say what was fitted to each SV Minor by model and season. I just checked the Hundred Pound body in my garage, but the doors are off, and the hinges aren't with it.

I'd start by making contact with other members with SV 4-str tourers. They are listed in the members' list and chassis register online. You never know, one of them might need a new ash frame - or at least parts of a frame perhaps.
minorman

Post by minorman »

My SV folding head saloon has the self-aligning ball and spring hinges. I suspect they are original as nobody worried about putting authentic parts on in previous rebuilds, so had they been lost I would expect the easiest/cheapest replacements..
Ian Grace wrote:Correct - the '31 season OHC Minors had hinges with balls and special bolt and springs in - hence self-aligning, as opposed to plain steel pins. I wouldn't like to say what was fitted to each SV Minor by model and season. I just checked the Hundred Pound body in my garage, but the doors are off, and the hinges aren't with it.

I'd start by making contact with other members with SV 4-str tourers. They are listed in the members' list and chassis register online. You never know, one of them might need a new ash frame - or at least parts of a frame perhaps.
In a perfect (motoring) world presumption and ignorance will win over expertise and skill.